1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sunfish, Ozark Bass (GoggleEye).....(Ambloplites constellatus)

Discussion in 'Fish Reference Photos' started by DocEsox, Oct 5, 2013.

1. First (rock) Ozark bass I've ever caught this last summer in Table Rock Lake.....ugly little spuds......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brian

PS: Like to thank JKnuth for straightening out as to the identity of this fish.....White River drainage is home to only the Ozark bass......I have gained new knowledge.... :)

2. Re: Sunfish, Rock Bass (GoggleEye).....(Ambloplites constellatus)

Shouldnt be Rock bass in Table Rock lake, only Ozark Bass (Ambloplites constellatus) And that is a beast of an Ozark bass, probably one of the biggest I have seen.
    You can tell by the irregular spots on the side of the body rather then the regular lined spots on a rock Bass.
    Missouri has all three species of that Genus and they only mix in a few locations.
    Rock Bass are more northern and Ozark Bass are in the south western part of the state (Common in the James river Basin) and then Shadow bass in the southern and eastern part of the state.

If you all are interested I have photos of Shadows from the Current river and Ozarks from the James river.

3. Re: Sunfish, Rock Bass (GoggleEye).....(Ambloplites constellatus)

JKnuth.....I definitely bow to your greater wisdom in this designation. I know little, except from books, about these fish. The guy I was with said it was a really big one he just referred to it as a "Goggle Eye" but I believe that name is used for Warmouth also and the correct name for this fish. Thanks a ton for paying attention and allowing me to attain "greater wisdom".... :eek:

Brian

PS: Would love to have photos of both, or all three, of these related species....thanks.

4. Re: Sunfish, Rock Bass (GoggleEye).....(Ambloplites constellatus)

Local names get nuts down there.
    I was looking for Shadow bass and finally asked about Goggle eye and the guys said OH those! Same with Longear sunfish, they called them Perch in most places in the state.
    Missouri is an amazing place for fish. We were attempting to hunt down the 3 subspecies of Longear there last summer Finally got them.
    White river, Great Plains and Central. Such diversity there, I cant wait to go back.

5. Here are a few more Ozark Bass from the James river basin.
    The species is characterized by the irregular dark flank spots, the slightly longer body type then a rock bass and range.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]