1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Buddha14524, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Buddha14524

Buddha14524 Member

I had a lady call me wanting a lot of Ducks doves starlings robins ect. BUT she wants me to mount them like boards no eyes no detail no paint no nothing just like Charles Darwin did his study birds she is a bird Biologist.

My question is how much do I charge and How on earth do I handle the birds like Doves without taking off tons off feathers.

2. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

in my years at the museum I had done tons of study skins....they are simply skinned out, cleaned, bones removed, and filled with cotton.......really very simple...the museum still has study skins in the collection that are 50 years old plus and in great condition.....

3. Buddha14524

Buddha14524 Member

what did you charge

4. Museum Man

I didn't charge anything, I was an employe of the museum...

5. Buddha14524

Buddha14524 Member

well what do you think I should charge I wanted to do them for free but the lady knew I was an upcoming bird taxidermist and refused it and but also told me dont try doing a simple cheap price do a honest fair price I was thinking just ask 50 per duck since some local guys told me ask around 100 but them guys do this as a living

6. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

I do not understand the question I guess, because the answer seems simply - If you have not done one already, DO ONE, and charge time + materials + your profit. If you do terrific work charge for it. If you do not, then charge accordingly.

7. Museum Man

there are nearly no materials used....no eyes, no wire....other than cotton and your time you figure what your per hour is worth......ducks will require a lot more time to flesh, degrease and wash and blow dry ......charge your per hour rate for your time...

8. CannonQ

CannonQ New Member

May be a basic wire frame in the birds, to support wings of larger birds. Just borax and cotton. Charge more for the ones you have to wash.
    I did some tiny birds, just be gentle.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. Buddha14524

Buddha14524 Member

I was told charge half of what average price was since most of my time will be spent skinning and fleshing and cleaning

10. cougar125

cougar125 New Member

$35/hr for skinning, degreasing, and prep work. It's not real high, but it's not free either.