1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shaving shoulder form down???

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by cfritz7707, Oct 8, 2013.

1. cfritz7707

cfritz7707 New Member

Is there an old tutorial post about shaving a shoulder form down that's too big and the correct way to do it?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Just saz-all slivers off of the neck, back side and sides, try not to change the front of the neck. Remove SLIVERS of foam, not big bites, take your time, rasp it to shape, test fit the cape as you go.

3. cfritz7707

cfritz7707 New Member

Thanks a lot for the reply and info I appreciate it

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

In my opinion, you would be well ahead to purchase the form you need. You'll use the one you have eventually. I have taken down head forms, but it's tricky. As "T" says, take as much off the back as possible. It's too easy to end up with a "stove pipe" neck if you have limited sculpting skills. X2 on using a saws-all and a 12" blade....the ultimate form altering machine!

5. Morel Man

Morel Man New Member

I also agree with the "little at a time" suggestion. Also be careful to shave very carefully so as not to take away from the true, natural look of the deer. I've learned that from experience. Don't take too much from one area and never from the front. Good luck!

6. Never from the front?
    Enlighten me on this one. I can't see how you could have an atomically looking deer this way.
    Not saying it's wrong, just seems odd to me.
    I would think that shrinking the whole neck the same amount would be best.
    I scratch marks the depth that I want to take off all over and then I shave the neck down keeping all the features that are sculpted in.

7. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

If you take away from the front of the neck you will not only mess up the main neck muscle features that may be difficult to resculpt, but you also end up making the nose longer, which may already be a little bit of an issue in that you are thinning the neck in the first place. On a deer form with 7" E-N measurement the nose to front of throat will be let's say around 9" or so. If you take an inch off the front you now have made the nose/face of the deer 1" longer. The E-N is the same but the neck to tip of nose is longer and now your anatomy is askew. Take off from the sides and back keeping the front part of the neck as a point of reference in regard to the deer's face and nose.

8. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

Ray Hatfield has a DVD from Taxidermy Training Unlimited on form alterations that should help you out on this subject. Good luck.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

It is no sin to remove the front detail, as long as you rasp it back in, however, if you have to bastardize the form that much, you are either desperate to mount, or don't want to wait to re-order. If you are going to drop more than an inch and a half in neck size, you might as well reorder or you will have a stove pipe neck. I only trim if I need to close a two inch gap on the back of the neck, anything bigger, reorder.
    A larger form can afford to trim some fat off of it, a little 16 inch form will not have much fat available to trim off.

10. wayne70

wayne70 Member

I rasp down a few early season bow kills that have a large face but the necks arenot puffed up yet. take off 1-2 inches and rasp in the front muscles.