1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anybody ever see pinks spots on half cast mounted fish?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Oct 8, 2013.

  1. Cecil

    Cecil Well-Known Member

    Recently mounted 4 large crappies and a yellow perch. Some of them had pink spots under a few of the scales and on the throat after they were mounted. I've only seen this once before and it's only on half cast fish. Fortunately it's not difficult to seal them and paint over it but was wondering if any of you have seen it and have any ideas what it is. I tried removing with lacquer thinner etc. but no dice.

    Something in the filler, plaster, borax, or some form of bacteria or fungi? Doesn't happen to carved body fish or manikin mounted fish.

    I'm going to start using some type a bacteriacide in the soak solution and see if it happens again. Got away from it as it didn't seem necessary as I don't soak them long.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  2. FishArt

    FishArt Well-Known Member

    Never seen it. My guess is it has to be in the filler you're using. Btw, hi Cecil!
     

  3. Cecil

    Cecil Well-Known Member

    Hi to you too Marty.

    Not the happiest with the Tom Sexton filler. A while back it wouldn't set up. Need to make my own.
     
  4. M.T.

    M.T. Active Member

    3,778
    15
    Damn Cecil, you're back again? Anyways, I would almost bet it is some type of mold.
     
  5. Jon S

    Jon S Well-Known Member

    Could also be a mineral deposit or bacteria from the water ?
     
  6. Cecil

    Cecil Well-Known Member

    Sounds plausible.

    Taxidermy is just a job now to bring in income. Lots of other things interest me now such as aquaculture, promoting aquaculture in the state, and building recirculating systems for several high schools in the area.
     
  7. Cecil

    Cecil Well-Known Member

    I doubt it's the water as it's well water and very pristine.
     
  8. old guy

    old guy Member

    103
    0
    When I used water based paints years ago,,I did notice the airborne particles landed in the most unusual places.,like some of the plasters or fillers,,how they got there who knows. just a thought.
     
  9. den007

    den007 Active Member

    3,467
    15
    Bacteria come in many colors.....ditto for molds and mildew. It is not paint. If you have not glossed it, spray on a bit of hydrogen peroxide, then alcohol, and my guess is it will go away.