1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cyclone- could you help a little?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Yellow prussiate of soda? Salt anti-caking agent(sodium ferrocyanide)

Do we have a problem here, or am I being paranoid?(adding to pickle)Maybe to little to worry about?

Got some folks reporting headaches in enclosed areas????

Also suspected cause of pH fluctuations? Can't find pH values? Water source is pH of 4, and citric seems to fair much better over Formic?? I know citric fairs well with hard water.(binding calcium), and I am strongly suspecting YPS?

THanks in advance!

2. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

OS I really don't think that there is enough YPS in salt to cause problems. In strong concentrations of acid, which a pickle is not, it could possibly release cyanide gas. The limits, however for YPS in food salts is in the low parts per million...very low..

Id be more concerned with using formic acid in confined spaces or in basements or other spaces frequently occupied. Formic is a volatile acid as is hydrochloric and acetic ( component of vinegar).

3. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Guess that stands to reason. Every time some of us eat table salt with YPS, we would start burping hydrogen cyanide! LOL

What about the pH thing? Do you think that YPS could cause pH spikes? Folks are reporting having to adjust pH multiple times with Formic? Maybe other salt impurities? There is no way a water source with a pH of 4 , can still be called "hard", is there? Thanks!

4. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

All the info I can find on YPS claims that there is no effect on pH.

Water with a pH of 4 can certainly contain the ions calcium and magnesium that cause hard water. More than likely, If the water is acidic it likely contains MANGANESE, note the difference, and iron. It will leave dark brown or black stains in toilets..