1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitetail mane

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by nickq83, Oct 16, 2013.

1. nickq83

nickq83 Member

I have a deer with a mane half way down the neck. The customer didn't realize it was there so should I groom the deer so the mane lays flat so no one thinks its a bad sewing job or leave it stand up natural.
    Any advice would be appreciated greatly.
    Thanks
    Nick

2. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

I have done a lot of whitetails with a mane or I call them a cowlick. I had a P&Y buck come in to my grunt call and I seen the cowlick on him it make`s a unique trophy I would leave it the way it is. Why hide the way it is tell him it is the way his deer is? All my customers love them if they didn't know it was there

3. davehyer

davehyer New Member

I've mounted allot of deer with a mane, I think you would be hard pressed to groom it out.

4. Call the owner to explain a "mane" so they can decide. I have done several maned deer & the customer has always wanted them removed. I don't think they can be "groomed" away, they need cut out.

5. Kydeerhunter03

Kydeerhunter03 New Member

I have had several with a mane, I usually call the customer and ask them what they would like. Once you mention its pretty rare to get a deer with a mane they usually keep it :) Havent had one turned down yet!

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

It's not a bad sew job when it's really a mane. I would just let your client know it has one. I have never had anyone complain about one, and that's a good thing cause you aren't going to lay it down permanently.

7. nickq83

nickq83 Member

Thanks for your help every one.
    Nick

8. tails up

tails up New Member

I would definitely leave the main, it looks way different from a bad sew job. Here's one I shot a couple years before I started doing my own taxidermy scored out at 163" gross.

Attached Files:

9. that is actually pretty cool,I've never seen one,are they crossed with a loper? Anyway,i'd tell your customer about it. I can't see a customer wanting something so uniqe altered. It still should be the customers call