1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

weathered wood

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by dktaxi, Oct 16, 2013.

1. dktaxi

dktaxi New Member

Looking for anybody that knows where I can get a weathered or barn wood euro mount pedestal.

thanks derek

2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Here you go.

http://s1008.photobucket.com/user/custombarnwoodplaques/profile/

[email protected]

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

You can make your own weathered wood by adding a pinch of steel wool to a little vinegar. Let set overnight, then dilute with water. Brush it on and watch the magic. Sawmill cut rough lumber, pine or cypress, weather really good using this procedure.

4. danielemt

danielemt New Member

joeym, thanks for the tip!!! i got try that one out!!! ;D

5. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Marking that tip!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LOL Not to steal Joey's thunder, but it's "IN THE ARCHIVES". Any strong acid will work. Vinegar, Muriatic acid, anything that eats up (rusts) iron will work. As Joes says, you need "stressed" lumber to make it work best. If you don't have hand sawn lumber, you can stress it by sandblasting, running an orbital 40 grit sandpaper wheel, or the edge of a running chainsaw across the surface.

Let the acid set until the steel wool is dissolved (the finer the better and 0000 would be the quickest). It is NOT A STAIN. When it contacts the wood, the wood absorbs it and the acid seeps deep into the structure. Put it on heavy and let it work its magic.

7. Like This?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If so, call Jason Byers, 618-665-4321

8. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

When I make weathered wood I like to go over it with a coarse wire wheel in order to bring up the grain. After that, you can use several different methods to stain it.

This base started as a couple of pieces of ordinary 2x6 fir. Glued together, cut out on a bandsaw, edges rounded off, wire-wheeled, and then stained.
    [​IMG]

9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Very nice Nancy C.!

10. buckmasters243

buckmasters243 Active Member

Cool stuff.

11. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

Nancy Amazing base work

12. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Find a fence building contractor. I came across one tearing out an old fence of 6" weathered cedar. They had the fence cut in three foot sections and he said take all you want. It's rough sawn 1x6 that is dark grey. You can get all you can handle from them

13. danielemt

danielemt New Member

So I did a test run with this. Used vinegar and 0000 steal wool. Let is sit in the vinegar over night put some water in it then brushed it on some scape pine that I ran a wire wheel on it. It dried after few hours n it only turned it very very slight grey. Almost to the point you can't see it. Does this take a few coats? What am I doin wrong if any thing?

14. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Yes, multiple coats are required for more weathering

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

And the board surface MUST be "stressed". This is not a stain. Its a chemical reaction and will continue until the acid neutralizes itself.

16. You can pressure wash the lumber to gain more grain. Then work the stain.

17. danielemt

danielemt New Member

Ok thank you guys!

18. very cool, thanks for the tip

19. I used a propane torch and went over the surface quickly. It burns the sapwood fairly easily and then brushed it with a hand held wire brush which removes the burned out material leaving a very heavy grain on the surface. Apply the steel wool/vinegar mix and let it soak in. Rinse and repeat until you get the desired coloration.

20. roostinridge

roostinridge Active Member

Took my mixture and added water based grey stain and just a little for shading and the results are fair.