1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Deer Head Mount

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by turkeyshooter, Oct 19, 2013.

1. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

[​IMG][​IMG]Ok help me out guys. The main two problem areas I had during my first deer head mounting experience was after I sewed up the neck, the deer looked like he had a horse mane. What should I have done in prepping the mannikin or in the sewing up process to help prevent this from happening?
    Second thing was getting those ears positioned properly & to stay in place. I ended up sticking some of my turkey mounting wing wire down into the ear to hold them in place. I am pretty sure that is not how you seasoned veterans do it. These were two of the areas I must have missed watching the video I watched or that were not covered in much detail. I did not use ear liners, I used the bondo method. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Keep in mind this is a Florida deer, but please feel free to critique this deer head. I need to know what does not look right with it & what does. Thanks again.
    You can see more pics of the deer head on my - recent photo's page atwww.fredsknifeworks.com

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

No need for any manikin prep for making you sew better then practice, and more practice. Keeping the hair out of the seam is all that you have to do, small stitches and stay on the edge of the skin. And practice, sewing is like playing the guitar, it is all in the finger dexterity, it only gets easier from practicing.

3. jbconnected

jbconnected Member

I went to Walmart & got some ice picks to hold my ears in the position I want. I found that the wider handle works well for larger animals. I use a regulator needle for smaller animals.

4. I use the "baseball stitch", push the needle through the hide inside outward so you won't pull hair into the needle hole.. Make sure all the hair is out of the stitch before you cinch it tight.........Good Luck, John
    [​IMG]

5. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

I would not want to run up on that deer with any buck scent on my clothes!

6. minehill

minehill New Member

Maybe you should try the Eppley earliners and earbutts. You can get your butts on the manikin before and get them to your liking then once you put the cape on just screw your earbutt back in place, add your clay to smooth it out then the liners will lock right in place..sew him up and your ears won't move at all

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Arm pit hair goes on the outside of the leg? Where is your reference photo for that?

8. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

The ears should stay in postion when using clay for the butts if not then there is not enough clay in the butts. Too small ear butts are an easy mistake. I had a problem with that at first. There are other mistakes as to be expected. Stay proud of it and spend more money and do another one. Learn all u can between mounts and the errors will start to fade away. Now don't take my advice if these deer are not ur own. Plus get a rick carter a to z dvd. Its the best start. But in my opinion is u simply have to mount several and stare at several othrt mounts and ref pictures

9. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

Thanks for all the help. Actually the cape is from Maine, and the horns are from a local Florida deer. I had a time matching up the cape to the form. Its kind of backwards way of doing it, but I wanted some practice. Got to start somewhere. Got another set of horns from Mo. I am going to try & mount another. He looks pretty good on the wall now. Though I do notice the mistake on the long hair area of the where the front legs start. I'll get that right next time for sure. I will try those Eppley earliners & earbutts. Thanks for the help. The one thing that has been confusing me a bit is the measurements. Some catalogs have 4 measurements. Most guys that sell capes only give two measurements. Thanks again.

10. bassnbuck

bassnbuck better late than never

They measurements they give are the a & c measurements in the catalogs

11. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

Thanks Andy!

12. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Get the liner/earbutt assembly and use it as reference. That will show you how much clay to use and where it goes. Clay is cheap and you can set the ears anyway you want. Get used to liners and turn those ears all the way to the edges and then more. That is where you need some practice as they stand out first.

13. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I use earliners and clay around ear butts to fill in and smooth out edges. I have also started using 2 1/2" heavy pins to hold ears and butts in position. Great way to keep ears in place while everything is drying. We pin all the other items, why not pin the ears.

14. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

Thanks for all the advice. One more question on setting the eyes properly. I am starting on my 2nd mount & have a set of eyes that have a steeper slope on one end than the other. Does the steeper slope go toward the rear or front of the eye. These are a pair of "Real eyes brand wildlife eyes" that have been around awhile but still look great. Thought I would try them on this 2nd mount. They also came with an eye membrane (Nictitatiing Membrane) . States Copyright Pat Secrist 2001 on the package. Eyes were in package that states - Commercial Forward-Looking.