1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

BOTW #41

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by JBird, Oct 21, 2013.

1. JBird

JBird Member

Well better late than never folks - I'm so sorry - KMA even messaged me a day ago to remind me and I was all ready to go - then this morning while driving to a meeting it occurred to me that I totally missed it and so now I'm trying to do this from my IPhone on the side of the raod ;D Love Mondays - with that said - I will be posting up some old pictures (nothing new thats ready yet) when i get back to my home PC in the meantime - THANK YOU FALCO for the last two weeks - and boy - not a fun one to follow - your work is just off the charts - I really look forward to hosting and seeing what you all bring to the table in the upcoming weeks - Let the games begin ;) and again - I'm sorry for such a late start today LETS SEE THOSE BIRSD

2. JBird

JBird Member

Ok - we're off to a slow start - but I can't complain as I am the one who started so late :p I did manage to come home and find an old external hard drive of mine with some VERY old photo's - these were all done before I even got married so they are between 10 and 12 years old - thought it might be fun to throw up some "old school" pics since I don't have anything current that is "photo ready" - its fun to see how far we've all come - its been particularly fun to see the progress of many of you over the years - I REALLY enjoyed seeing Cheri's post of "old mounts" great stuff - so in an effort to jump start this monday I humbly submit some of my earlier work ;D sorry if any are repeats but dont think I've posted any of these in a LONG time if ever

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Nice Mounts Sweet!!

4. Here's a few more older mounts.The Quail under glass was the first gift I gave my husband...

Attached Files:

5. these are for sale "cheap" in my shop right now.

Attached Files:

6. Fogvalley

Fogvalley New Member

My first duck
    [​IMG]

7. JBird

JBird Member

Birdstuffer - very nice - i love the back story - did your husband love it? I am always curious how significant others and spouses feel about their "taxidermist" partners - haha beautiful - as for your cheep sales item - i LOVE the hen in a basket - i remember when that was a big fashion statement in country kitchens - gorgeous -

Fogvalley - you really put some work into that with the habitat and base - as for your first mount - i WISH my first duck looked that smooth - whatever you're doing - keep doing it.

Is it friday yet? Seems like the last three weeks has just been one long Monday ? Am I the only one who feels that way ? I did manage to get my kids halloween costumes - I was shocked when my "pretty princess" 6 year old daughter chose "a power ranger" for her costume - kids are just to funny - gotta love it.

Jeff

8. Fogvalley

Fogvalley New Member

Thanks! I spent forever trying to get the wings tucked how they are, that was very frustrating! But I am sure glad I didn't give up. Some day I hope to learn water to give a little extra, I really really want to create like a backwash coming up from the ground stirred up by the swimming but for now I'm happy, always room for improvement.

9. Mallard Pair...

Attached Files:

10. Yes my husband loved it very much and has always supported my profession though he is not a hunter. He is very grateful for what I do.Now that he is retired he has taken over the household duties so I can spend all my time working in my shop.It rocks! As for the chicken it has already sold.I gave that as a gift to his mom but she died a year and half ago.I used to sell a lot of chickens when I first moved to Idaho 19 years ago and my nickname was "The Chicken Lady".Women came from miles around to have one for their kitchen!

11. whackybird

whackybird At first you can't succeed, Try, Try again!

Birdstuffer - Is that a mountain quail? I think it is, but i cant see the price tag either :(

12. JBird

JBird Member

just to give a little perspective - I worked all day and then made my way home with every intentions of going to my shop and spending the entire evening trying to catch up on taxidermy - however I have two little angels that temporarily transformed into two little devils - and I was immediately attacked and bombed with every single hair accessory we have in the house - I think I may be permanently scarred - of course I thought of you KMA with your little girls - and as much as you may never admit it - I just KNOW that you to have experienced the same sort of onslaught (pictures would be greatly appreciated) thusly - my night didn't go quite as planned - but my girls thuroughly enjoyed themselves and whats life if you can't humiliate yourself a little and share a picture like this ;D

chicken lady - I like that - that is now my new name for you ;o)

Fogvalley - I love your thinking - there are some real wizards on here with habitat and especially water scene's - that is out of my realm of expertise but I have a great respect for the art as I believe its even more difficult to do correctly than even mounting the birds themselves - I hope you keep your motivation and share with us your progress

Tim - always enjoy your posts - beautiful pair of birds - mallards are a very underappreciated bird I think - really - if taken at face value - they are one of the most beautiful of all the waterfowl - very well done.

[​IMG]

13. wings II

wings II New Member

Another great start Jeff! (I have a few of those daughter dress up photos as well but I'm not as brave as you to show one of them. ;D)

I don't have anything finished right now but I was invited over to a client's house yesterday to see his new JIM DAY Bald Eagle RECREATION. it is very impressive in person so I snapped a picture of it before I left so folks could see it here on the bird forums

His Recreation's are really something special.

Love all the work so far! Cheri thanks for throwing up some more retro pictures with Jeff... those are very cool to see. I hope everyone will dig out some old photos this week for a retro throwback ..it would be fun.
    [​IMG]

P.S. to Fogvalley - great job on your first! I see you live in Norton... some of my best hunting trips ever have been right there in your neck of the woods... that is God's Country!

14. Hahahahah!!!! LOVE the photo of you and your girlies Jeff!Come on Matt be brave and show us some of yours! I think that every host should post pictures of themselves and family! It's nice to put a face to the name!

15. oh yes that is a Mountain Quail. It's $25 and an very OLD mount!

16. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Chickens were my bread & butter for many years.
    I rarely get a chance to mount my own trophies, but I forced myself to mount these Duskies. I shot them last year and I skinned & salted them in camp. They had been that way for a year in my freezer. Use 'em or lose 'em.

Attached Files:

17. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

:)

Attached Files:

18. Second turkey, first full strut... I know the legs should be closer together and I got alot more to learn. This is my 3rd bird.

Attached Files:

19. JBird

JBird Member

Glass - i LOVE your grouse - with all the crazy exotics that I manage to collect - finding a nice blue grouse has been near IMPOSSIBLE for me - great job (love the snipe as well - cute little buggar)

Soldier - third bird - a freaking TURKEY? are you kidding me? I know guys who can't get a bird that smooth that have been doing it for years - OUTSTANDING !! truly

ok - so in an effort to keep it going - I kept digging - you guys are gonna make me go further and further back in time aren't you - here are some fun shots back when I was young and stupid.......good times.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. falco

falco Trapping is fun

Wow.... what a great start. Nothing fresher than a bunch of your birds Jeff.
    Boy oh boy, you are showing off your exotic feathers again ...
    Love them all... good stuff.
    now quit fooling around and get to work and put them up... we wanna seem them done. :D