1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

BOTW #41

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by JBird, Oct 21, 2013.

1. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

Oh lord, since I don't do many birds at all, I might as well jump in with some of my first mounts when I was young and ready to take over the world. In retrospect, these are horrific mounts but they got me where I am now, so I can't hate on them too bad. I don't have any of them anymore. I sold them all years ago or gave them away to friends when I opened to the public because I didn't want people to see my "failed attempts." I sometimes wonder if they are still around and WHY the people that bought them did. I'm sorry for the horrible quality but these are cell phone pics of old actual photos that weren't great to start with.

#1 Bird - My first bird. A Ruffed Grouse. I did this one somewhere around fall of 1993. My dad shot this in Bedford County, PA. It was mounted on a wrapped form with teddy bear eyes from the hobby shop in it.
    [​IMG]

#2 Bird - Wood Duck drake. This was from around 1994? This was given to me by my aunt's neighbor who was crazy insane into duck hunting and would kill all sorts of fowl every year. I begged him to save me a woody drake and one day he came to the barber shop while I was getting a haircut and put a grocery bag in my lap containing this duck. It was a beautiful bird but I turned it into this trainwreck. Also, this was one of my first experiences playing with artificial water and I poured it all over the stump that duck was on and made a hell of a mess.
    [​IMG]

#3 Bird - Ringneck Pheasant rooster - This one is from 1995. This thing actually hit the sliding glass door of our back porch. It was the strangest thing, especially considering we lived in the suburbs, nowhere near any crucial pheasant habitat. I have no idea where it came from. This one is starting to look better than the first two attempts.
    [​IMG]

#4 & #5 Birds - Bobwhite Quail Pair - 1996 - These two were given to me by my dad's friend who hunted game preserves all the time. These things were a mess from the start and didn't get much better. His retriever made chew toys out of them before they got to me, but somehow I made them work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's a bonus pic of me around 13 or 14 years old in 1997/1998 in my "boycave" full of my taxidermy collection. Most boys collected comic books and baseball cards. I hoarded dead animals and I still do.
    [​IMG]

2. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

I gotta go take some pictures, all my stuff is drying right now.

Jeff love the family pic... I to have three girls as you may know....and with the locks of love project Im doing my 9 y/o loves braiding my hair...LOL....so I feel your pain, but all in all in great to spend time with them.

Great birds all..... I will try to get some pics up

3. JBird

JBird Member

Adam -

MY FAVORITE POST YET !!! Best stories - I love that you have kept all the details of birds from that long ago and have shared them with us - especially the teddy bear eyes ;o) FANTASTIC !!! Man what I wouldn't have given for a 'boy cave' at that age - how very cool is that - great pics - great stories - wonderful

Jeremy - the pressure is on dude - I need to feel the local love ( i know what you're saying though I have a shop full of partially dry unfinished birds so can't really judge ) forgot about your hair and your girls - thats funny stuff there - what a trooper - I bet they make you just simply "beautiful" haha

Jeff

4. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

Thanks, JBird. I know I have more old photos somewhere of my stuff. I will dig them out and post more when I can find them. They are all good for a laugh if nothing else.

5. I am loving all the old and new! Such inspiration! I layed out a mallard drake to try next...

Lol no JBird My first bird was a wood duck drake. I've done 2 turkeys since then. I've been told I start with the hardest and go backwards. Lol. My first ever mount was a bobcat.... My first fish will be a 30 lb striper my brother in law brought me. Lol. Idk I like a challenge and figure the hardest things will teach me all the steps to do easier things. Though I've found no mount is simple. I think we are all forever learning. And I've learned so much from this forum and the great people here. Thanks everyone.

6. GC

GC New Member

I know I don't contribute much these days...but I still like looking at everyone's work! I actually had time to put together this mount for a friend of mine the other day.

Attached Files:

7. GC

GC New Member

Another angle... Have a good week everyone!

Attached Files:

8. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

very nice gc

9. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Still amazed at the work in here! I dint have much to offer other than 2 snows, almost dry and ready to switch to driftwood

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Attached Files:

10. JBird

JBird Member

GC - I have to tell you that is in my top two favorite buffy mounts ever - serioulsly - I love everything about it. I fell in love with bufflehead when I raised them - they have the zaniest personalities - they are like little neurotic crack head ducks - just funny as heck to watch - and beautiful on top of it. Not to mention one of the funnest to shoot - I love that its not 'over done' - its simple - elegant - MASTERFULLY done - both base and taxidermy - outstanding - I'd be thrilled to have something like that in my own collection.....I think I'm going to have to mount a buffy soon - now the question is - where do I get one???? lol guess I'll have to force myself to actually go hunting this year

Josh - wonderful to see your post - I've often told friends that "geese are the canchor" of birds in taxidermy - their size, the amount of fat - the work - OY :-\ THEY ARE JUST SO DIFFICULT ( in my humble opinion) but after the work is all done - its hard to beat a nice goose mount - and have to say - seeing them cupped and "commin in" makes me want to get out in that blind - its probably been 20 years since I've pulled the trigger on a nice goose - and actually - i've NEVER shot a snow. Great job and thank you for sharing -

as for me - again digging in the "archives" - this time however not so far back - these are about 6 to 8 years old - hopefully some mild progress can be seen - haha WHAT A WEEK - (jeremy - you have one day left to participate - don't dissapoint me brother) I hope everyone here knows that I work to the point of exhaustion every day - and aside from my family - putting the kids to bed, poring a nice glass of wine - and coming down to my "dungeon" to check out "BOTW" is really truly one of the highlights of my day (ok - note to self - make an effort to generate a social life) This was about when I started playing with backdrop photo's and such - boy what a learning curve

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Wow! Very nice!!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

12. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

The truth is have been planting trees instead of mounting many birds the past 2 weeks, the nursery in Walla Walla was having a heck of sale and I went to buy a few trees and.... well....... I've been back 3 times, now I have purchased 29 trees.... I guess besides being a duck whore I am a tree whore...LOL.....oh well the place will look great next Autumn.

Okay Jeff...this is for you brother ;). I tore the tape off of this bugger so I had something to post up. This was one of those head scratchers. The kid down in Portland shot this bugger early in the 2012 season and was so jacked to get him mounted. In Northern Oregon all our Cinnamon and Bluewing teal head south super early so it is rare for us to harvest a decent Cinny teal that has color. This fella shot him down near Vancouver and had to have it done.......the problem is when he went to take it out the freezer.....he dropped it! This is what he brought me with a tear in his eyes.

[​IMG]

I told him no promises but with some patience and some extra sutures he turned out..... here he is.

[​IMG]

And Jeff since you posted a picture about hair.....well..... Ill throw this up for you. The in-laws were down last week, my Mother-in law asked if she could get a nice picture of Kristi and I while we were out at the Thai restaurant. This is what we came up with....LOL.... im sure she is proud.

[​IMG]

13. whackybird

whackybird At first you can't succeed, Try, Try again!

This is my second mount. A nice 'ol spruce grouse :)

Attached Files:

14. igor

igor Member

Jeff, I have to put something here in respect of the host, one of my favorite bird taxidermist. As usually nothing is finished. the only difference between my finished and unfinished " museum" mounts is tape and pins removed :).
    Here are two boring small raptors for a museum :) just finished. I need better pictures and Photoshop skills to make them look good :))))

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Attached Files:

15. RusTax

RusTax Active Member

Russia
    Hello everyone! finally repaired the my computer and I can talk to all! Falco, thank you for an interesting week, a lot of great work! :eek: I have a bird ready for your week ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. RusTax

RusTax Active Member

Russia
    [​IMG]

17. RusTax

RusTax Active Member

Russia
    JBird, please forgive me, I mixed up the the host of the week :-[ .But all the words to Falco undoubtedly in the power

18. JBird

JBird Member

LOVE THEM ALL - Jeremy - just in the nick of time bro - very nice - I love the salvage - hopefully it was a clean break - either way you did a superb fix it job and mount (love the story) has the client seen it yet? bet he was THRILLED and now convinced you wield some sort of magical powers ;o)

WHACKY - love the spruce - they are just beautiful birds and one of my favorites - did you hunt that bird locally? It looks quite dark in color compared to some that I have seen in the past - great mount.

Igor - YEA !! I was hoping to see you and our work - and thank you sir for the wonderful words of support - your work is stunning - I love your description of finish work ;D brilliant - as is your work.

Russ - I consider being mistaken for Falco as a great compliment - haha I'll take it. What the heck kind of raptor is that? Beautiful coloring -

What a great week - thank you all who have participated - I am taking my girls to church and then an afternoon halloween party so I will not be home until later - then I need to get them to bed for the coming week of school so this will be my last post of the week - but might try to sneak in later tonight and get next weeks started early - don't want a repeat of this weeks late start ;o) haha - THANK YOU EVERYONE

19. RusTax

RusTax Active Member

Russia
    What the heck kind of raptor is that? Beautiful coloring -

He called the Montagu's harrier( CIRCUS PYGARGUS)

20. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Nice save Jeremy!!