1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

rugs

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Skin Deep, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Skin Deep

Skin Deep Member

USA
    I was trying to quot a price on a hang up wolf rug or any other rug on this topic. How do taxidermist normally charge for something like this, maybe by the foot? I been looking around but haven't seen anything useful.

Thanks everyone!

2. gab

gab Active Member

wholesaler will charge about $50 per linear foot.add this to tanning skinning etc.and then add markup

3. RJ Simington

RJ Simington Active Member

I charge FLAT RATE on Bears , Wolves & everything else.

It eliminates a bunch of guessing what things will cost.

Wolves & Black Bears are $ 1100.

I have had a few folks freak out about how expensive it is but Most all just say ok.

RJ Simington

4. Skin Deep

Skin Deep Member

USA
    Thanks RJ Simington, Thats how i want to do it one flat rate. Your getting 1100 for a rug mount that sounds incredible!

5. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I charge 200 a linear foot nose to tail.. 5 foot is 1K, 5.5 foot is 1100 and a 6' is 1200.. it all works out in the end..

6. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Yep.
    Price it assuming you're using a cast lip open mouth rug shell, shipping to a from the tannery, pay the tannery then shipping to and from the ruggery, the ruggery's bill, your time to mount, etc. Once you figure out all the costs associated with a rug you'll see that $1,100 and or $200 a linear foot is a square deal

7. gab

gab Active Member

1100 seems cheap for a head on rug.i charge a fixed rate too,but most wholesalers charge by the foot

8. Skin Deep

Skin Deep Member

USA
    Can u guys send me a link on the ruggary please. Didn't know that exsisted

9. Try Jill at Montana Rug and Tanning. She has a website. Located in Montana

10. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Just go to top right of page, click on suppliers then go to wholesale ruggers.

11. loellke

loellke New Member

Rhondas ruggery is in Illinois. 217 473 4217

12. DL

DL Well-Known Member

X2 on Rhonda's

13. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I dont use the lip cast unless they want it. .then its an extra 150, seeming the head is 168 I think. .I just have em tanned, mount the head and send em all over. .RJ's wife even rugged a couple batches the past couple years.. she does a nice job. I get about 50 or so a year so I send a few here and their not to swamp someone at once.

Brown bears I charge 210.00 a linear foot. most ruggerys charge a bit more for brown bears So I reflect that in my prices.. .may because of width, dont know. .but thats my price. .

14. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

I use the cast lips on all my rugs if they want the open mouth of course. The time saved on finish work offsets the cost.
    There's a couple ruggers in Michigan. I've been really happy with Northern Pines. Rug B does a good job too.

15. Skin Deep

Skin Deep Member

USA
    Thanks everyone for all the info you guys truly helped!

16. gtout

gtout Member

Not sure where you are located, however, I am a wholesale rugmaker in Tucson. Gail Tout T-Basix Taxidermy and Rugmaking. www.tbasix.com [email protected] 520-790-1054