1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Curious on veins and muscles

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by DogSoldierChick, Oct 23, 2013.

1. I know when I go to mount something I get tons of reference and set around for hours. I'm in the process of mounting my first deer shoulder mount. I've mounted fawns, bobcats, coyote, turkeys so I figured it was time to do a shoulder mount since I'm sure that's what my shop will receive the most. Anyway.... A couple questions.

I've heard the steroid arguments so we won't get into that one. I believe some muscle tone shows but not alot. Very large muscled deer are generally fat too. Which masks the cut look.

The one that really throws me off is the lines at the back of the mouth on bucks. I have seen this in some mounts and can't seem to find any accuracy in reference. So what are the lines some have going back at the mouth corners and what's the reasoning?

Last one... The veins. I was petting a buck back in summer and yes I could see his vein detail. It is very hard to notice even in summer hair but this is when details show the most. I have some very nice quality short hair capes. I'm considering putting the vein detail in. On the deer I have drying even though its very short hair you can't see the detail from the form. Anyone wanna share the secret to showing the vein?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Build them up if you want them to show. A hot melt glue gun works as does string or apoxie sculpt or clay.

3. If you want to do it right learn what the muscles do and how they work. In some poses they will be shortened and fuller (contracted) in others they may be longer flatter (stretched). Those are muscles behind the the back corner of the mouth. You are on the right track. Nature is soft and subtle. At times veins can be more pronounced. Think about if you do a lot of activity or exercise your veins become more pronounced because of the increased blood flow returning to the heart. This is the same with animals, panting, fighting poses etc are more pronounced relaxed not so much...etc It all depends on the story you are trying to convey.

4. John L

John L Active Member

If you for lack of a better word pet it into place as you mount the face the hide paste will fill in where the veins are and you can control how much you want to show. It's hard to explain without a pic.

5. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

I am a little confused you say you are going to mount your first, then you say the one you have drying? I assume the one drying is your first, you also say you are considering putting in the veins. If your first is already mounted then it's to late to do anything with it. I agree with what Vince has said and 3bears has given you the techniques to use to achieve it

6. Im sorry I should have clarified that. My first deer shoulder is drying. I was curious about these things while looking at the one I just mounted. I knew it was too late to put them in and thought I might try it on the next one... I'll post pics of my first as soon as I get the finish work done.

I was also curious again about reference pics showing them. In most pictures I have you can't see them. Im sure it would only show in EARLY season or when they have been chasing and the blood flow is up. Input on this?

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

It is just bling chrome on a hot rod. You will only see it in very short summer hair, mature deer. If you can throw some bling into a mount and balance it out so it looks like it fits, then customers will love it. Do it wrong and it will look like pink on a guy.

8. T. I thought pink was the new black???

9. John L

John L Active Member

Here the pic of the deer I was talking about only form and hide paste underneath skin to show veins.

Attached Files:

10. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Rippling muscles and tortuous veins will make 99/100 customers happy...and they are the ones who pay my bills!

11. Thank you all for the input.