1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Covering degreasing tanks...

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Beltonbanger, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Does anyone else cover their degreasing tanks? I cover mine to cut down on evaporation. I do fish in my shop also and humidity can be an issue. For the last few years my degreasing tank has been outside, but thinking of moving it in the shop for convenience. I get a little slime growth on antlers and such, but it is no big deal.

2. mlo31351270

mlo31351270 New Member

I do not cover mine if I am doing skulls with antlers. I use a dehumidifier for the high humidity.

3. jprince

jprince New Member

I keep mine covered to trap more heat so my heaters dont have to work so hard. But i live in Nebraska and it gets fairly cold in my uninsulated garage in the winter. Ive been using styrafoam and cutting notches to fit around antler bases. Have also heard that pingpong balls do good also

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Cover and use silicone or rubber mold maker on the antlers to protect them. Peels right off and keeps them dry and clean. Keeps heat in, saves on electricity and cuts down a lot on humidity.

5. gamechanger

gamechanger Member

I made a cover out plexi-glass. I use round stock tanks so as luck would have it, I had to find a way to make the covers round. Go figure. Anyway, I took a square piece of plexi-glass and melted it into shape with a heat gun. Basically molded it like a dome. Took a few hours to do this but I wanted something that was lightweight and that I could see through so I wouldn't have to take the cover off very often. I made a 2x4 frame as roughly circular as I could to melt it over first. Forgot to put that in there. I then used a roto-zip tool (anything that cuts plexi-glass would work) and cut a vent hole in the top. 3-4" hole. That doubles as a hole for you to be able to pick it up. I made it fit around the edges of the tank so that the water that was accumulating on the sides could drip right back in to the tank and not all over the floor in the shop. I used metal L-Brackets and screwed them to the sides of the tank so that the cover is resting on them when it is on top of the tanks. I affixed a removable flex tube (like they use on a dryer) to the top (using U shape brackets) and vented it outside just like you would a dryer. Works great and doesn't create much moisture in the shop. That's what I did. Not sure if it helps your situation or not but I wanted mine inside as well.

Game Changer Taxidermy