1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

M32 PR=Junk

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by IAtaxi, Oct 25, 2013.

1. IAtaxi

IAtaxi Member

Used em for 10yrs, for the past few I can't take my paint job off the eyes with a knife without going through the protective layer over the white band, leaving the finished product not eye pleasing(pun). Anyone else make a good eye with a white band I can scratch off the paint over it?

Ticks me off to go through all that work then that happens.

2. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    I never use McKenzie eyes, but from what I can see from the images, it's probably happening because the white is painted on the outside of the glass. If they're not baked long enough or hot enough - if at all - the paint is not bonding to the glass, and is simply laying on the surface, allowing you to scratch into the paint.

I only order eyes from Tohickon ... you can beat their quality. ;)

3. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

try a sharpened end of a paint brush to scrape off the paint. That's what I use . I use tru eyes form Ohio Taxidermy Supply

4. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    [​IMG]
    Instead of a knife, I use a Dental tool called a Canine Tooth Scraper ... made for scraping Canine teeth. Works GREAT on glass eyes. Removes the dried or softened clay, without damaging the glass eyes.
    [​IMG]
    After scraping away any remaining clay residue, I wash the eye using an Artist's brush that holds a spritz of Windex.

Remove the paint from the eyes after sealing the paint on the eyelids with whatever clear gloss you use. I use small pointed, cotton-tipped makeup applicators dipped in Lacquer thinner - or alcohol - to clean the eyes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also, switch to a wooden modeling tool, or a dull metal blade, and a lighter touch. ;)

I have posted a complete finishing tutorial here ...
    https://www.facebook.com/john.bellucci.3/media_set?set=a.10200438463384215.1073741852.1235367200&type=3

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

I use the Tohickon PR's all the time and clean them with a blade, never any issues with their eyes. They have an excellent product.

6. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

x2 with the tohickons pr