1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Reclaiming Dried Clay

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by George, Oct 26, 2013.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

If you're using potter's clay or Critter Clay, you'll often find that they have begun to harden and are no longer pliable. Instead of throwing it out and getting new clay or trying to wet it topically, here's a great way to restore it to it's original consistency.

You need:

A cheap cheese grater that you can find in the Dollar Store or WalMart

A spray bottle with a "mist" adjustment"

Fill your spray bottle with warm to hot water. A few drops of Fabric Softener will help. Fabric Softener is a surfactant and makes the water "wetter" and more easily absorbed by the dry clay.

Take your clay and start grating it. When you get enough to cover the storage back bottom you're putting it in, mist it with several spritzes of the hot water mix. Then repeat that step until you have your clay all grated and wet.

Seal the bag and let it set overnight. The next day, you'll find your clay is completely rehydrated and you can reform it it you'd like. When using the clay, use what you need and then spritz several pumps of water into the bag before closing it. You may not need to do this every time, but the open bag allows moisture to evaporate. Routine moistening will prevent you having to start all over again.

2. Thanks for the tip George. I hope the wife doesn't catch me using her cheese grater. ;D

3. Break the clay into small block by first scoring it, then wrap in a wet terry cloth towel, check it daily until is wetted out.

4. buzzbait

buzzbait Padden's Wild & Wet Taxidermy and custom Woodwork

NY
    Thanks for the tip, George

5. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

Dang, should have read this one sooner. No telling how much clay I have wasted so far. But no more! Thanks George!

6. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

It's funny how people forget clay is DIRT, just add water and it's supple again... good post George..

7. Thankyou george :)

8. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

i use to put my clay in widemouth gallon jars...mixed a little Lysol with the water.....i found a jar from 25 years ago and its still soft and no fungus or mold

9. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Thanks George!
    I am going to try this and add the Lysol to help stop the mold. I have found that keeping my Critter clay and potter's clay in the frig seems to help too.

10. You can also wet a towel, wrap your block of clay with the towel, place in a plastic bag and and pour a little more water on the towel leave for 24 hours, just like new.

11. Dan Taylor

Dan Taylor Member

You can also put it in the freezer.

12. FinFlight

FinFlight TRAIL CREEK

George you have saved me more mony than you know.and here you go againplus your deer skinner tool man you could have made those and sold them but your a give to the industry thanks again pete.