1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Critique my red fox

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by camonick, Oct 28, 2013.

1. camonick

camonick New Member

Getting started in some amateur taxidermy and need some professional "eyes" to look at my mount. Still really trying to get my eyes to look good. That seems to be the most challenging part for me. Thanks for taking a look.
    Nick

[​IMG][/URL]][/img]
    [​IMG][/URL]][/img]
    [​IMG][/URL]][/img]

2. really nice!
    Whenever I try to do a fox I have problems with the ears slipping! any secrets?

3. Stop Rot while turning the ears will help with the slipping issue.

Bruce

4. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

upper lids do need to come down some for a more natural look....ears also need to be tilted forward a might

5. Nathan

Nathan Active Member

Small left to right eye set asymmetry, the rest looks good.

6. Lone Wolf AK

Lone Wolf AK Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry

Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks as though the top of the eye pupils may tilt slightly outward instead of inward. "Google" Red Fox and there are lots of close-ups that illustrate this.

7. Agree, upper lids need to come down, he looks a bit startled. Grooming is nice and overall not bad, way better than my first fox. Keep at it. Mark

8. Fogvalley

Fogvalley New Member

Right ear is low. Could be the stand in the picture but something is a little off, but it looks good

9. danielemt

danielemt New Member

Eyes on fox have about a 10 degree slant inward. And from the side view it looks like the nose is alittle on the flat side. Could be the picture. But overall nice!! Just little things and next one wil be even better. Keep up the good work.

10. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Here are some photo angles ...
    The angle of the eyelids when viewed form the front, are 20°.
    [​IMG]

The slit pupils are angled inward at the top slightly, at an angle of 5°. The pupils do not sit straight up and down.
    [​IMG]

A good standard eye setting is 90°.
    [​IMG]

For more on Foxes, Jackals, and Coyotes, see this post ...
    https://www.facebook.com/john.bellucci.3/media_set?set=a.3171902336553.2127901.1235367200&type=3

11. camonick

camonick New Member

Thanks for the ideas. As I said, eyes are the most challenging for me right now. I know all animals are different and I see now how some of my angles are not right. Although, the 2 photos above with the angle reference seem like the eyes are more open like mine. I don't do very many mounts so getting practice is a little tough. I'll keep working and make sure I use more reference photos.
    Thanks,
    Nick

12. Bestshooter

Bestshooter New Member

For a first one that is great !!!

13. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Other than what some others have mentioned, it looks like the skin from the eyes to the ears should come forward a bit. It looks like it's pulled back too tight, making the eyes off and the ears too far back. This would help with the eyes and help with the ears' angles. Also if you look at John's reference pics, you'll notice the line under the nose is hair to hair, there is less lip showing, and the nose shape is crisper. These are all small details, but small details add up to make a mounted animal look like a realistic, living animal instead of something stuffed.