1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Oklahoma Taxidermists Association Convention 2014

Discussion in 'Convention Information' started by Ken Edwards, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

2. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    2014 Oklahoma Convention & Competition.

As the president of the OKTA, I would like to personally invite my fellow taxidermists to attend the 31st Annual Oklahoma Taxidermists Association Convention & Competition in Oklahoma City. The date for the convention is June 12-14 at the Crowne Plaza on NW Expressway. Judges for the convention are Vince Fleming, Terry Weick, and DeWayne Dewey. Clay Wagner, Jerry Huffaker, Loyal Shapley, and Mike Reimer will all be presenting informative seminars, as well as each judge. There will be several suppliers set up. A WTD mounting contest / calcutta will occur on Thursday night. Hopefully, everyone can come out and enjoy the show with us. For more information and a brochure, please visit the OKTA website at: www.oklahomataxidermistsassociation.com. See you there.

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

OKLAHOMA ! ! !

OKLAHOMA ! ! ! Just got back from the Oklahoma Show. I would like to thank Ken Bauman and ALL of the staff that organized and ran the show. It was a REALLY nice show. A lot of GREAT WORK represented .... and a LOT of great people. I met too many people to mention names in fear of missing someone. I will definitely be back in the future. Thanks for making me feel welcomed. Thanks to all the judges as well and their critiques. IMO, it was judged hard but FAIR. Kudos to the judges! It is amazing how much one can learn from going to a show (seminars, judges and other taxidermists). Also, a thank-you to the suppliers that were there .... I hope you did well. I may be a part-time hobbyist, but I do appreciate the suppliers coming all that way to support state shows! :)

There were people from quite a few states that showed up.

Hope to see ya guys soon!

:)

Kerby...

4. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Re: OKLAHOMA ! ! !

Hey Kerby,
    It was great having you here in OK. Nice to finally put a face and handshake to your taxi net person. Since your not going to toot your own horn I'll do it for you. Congrats on all your success and winnings. I can't remember all of what you won. That carp was awesome. Especially for your first comp skin mount. Your mounts really added to our show with all of your creepy crawly stuff. Hope to see you again.

5. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

2014 Oklahoma Showroom Pics (76)

Wow, what a great show and a great group of people! This was our first time attending the Oklahoma show, and you can bet we'll be back. I think I heard there were 127 entries! The showroom was set up very well, with plenty of room around each mount to fully enjoy them. The seminars were FANTASTIC! Special thanks to all the guys that put on those seminars, I learned tons in just a few hours! My two favorite quotes from the seminars were

Dewayne Dewey's seminar.... "What's the biggest lifesize you have ever done?" He replied.." I did an Elephant...it was BIG"
    and
    Jerry Huffaker when he was squirting caulk water all over his Habitat rock and all the people in the front row and he said..."We're havin fun now!"

Seriously though, it was a great show. Lots of talent, and super folks.

Here are the pics I took of the Showroom after the ribbons and awards were put out. I apologize in advance to anyone I missed. The only one I know for sure I don't have was the Sable, because my picture was too blurry. It was a beautiful piece and won an award also, so if anyone has a pic please post it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. BrookeSFD16

Re: OKLAHOMA ! ! !

Hey Mr. Ross! Glad to finally meet you after "knowing" you on here. I posted a bunch of pics in the Taxidermy Industry thread from the showroom. Hope to get you to come down to Louisiana one day and school us on some reptiles. Glad you made it home sake and congratulations again!

7. Kerby Ross

Thanks ..........

Thanks, it was nice meeting you as well ......... and make sure you show Derek our picture.

Might make it to Louisiana one day.............

Kerby...

8. Kerby Ross

Thanks ......

Thanks for taking those pictures and posting them!

Kerby...

9. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Re: 2014 Oklahoma Showroom Pics (76)

That carp looked awesome, thanks for posting

10. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

some super well done work

11. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Wow. Looks like some really tough judging on some really nice pieces. Looks like you had a good showing of talent.

12. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Good to see some nicely done hog whitetails at at a show.

13. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

Thanks for posting Brooke. Did you and Randy bring anything?

14. BrookeSFD16

Hey Derrick! Yeah I brought a duck. #20 lol. And Randy brought a shoulder mount whitetail. It was a great show. We learned a bunch. Hope to see you in Texas.

There were a bunch more reptiles than what I thought there woulda been....top quality too. Youda liked it.

15. Kerby Ross

I counted..........

I counted 11 reptiles, both skin mounts and reproductions.

Kerby...

16. Re: 2014 Oklahoma Showroom Pics (76)

X2, it was a really cool piece and a great show. That room was pretty well packed with some great mounts, thanks for posting the pics Brooke! Kerby, it was a pleasure meeting you, I was amazed by your work. Thanks to everyone at the OKTA who made it happen.

17. Kerby Ross

It was............

Thanks, it was nice meeting you as well and a bunch more new people. It was a great show with a lot of good people ..... and a lot of great work represented ..... good seminars, etc.

I already have my competition fish piece planned out for next year. I have it as my screen saver on my computer so I am forced to look at it daily for a year (or until I get it done).

The carp was my first fish skin mount competition piece.

Kerby...

[​IMG]

18. Re: 2014 Oklahoma Showroom Pics (76)

OK I know Newport mounted an open mouth but who mounted the other one that got a blue.

19. Deer Mount

Deer Mount New Member

Awesome pics! Wish I could have made it to see them in person.

20. Bluebloodtaxi

Bluebloodtaxi New Member

That was Kenneth Bauman's buck I believe