1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cape Sewing

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ada2453, Oct 30, 2013.

1. I saw a response on a different post about sewing up a dorsal cut cape. The post said to turn the cape inside out and sew up till there is 10 inches left and then mount on the form. I haven't tried this on the few mounts that I've done but it sounds like a good way to go because I have a lot of trouble keeping the hair out of my stitches. I was wondering if you pull the cape over the form after sewing and then mount the antlers and the eyes on the form while the cape is on it? Then finish sewing it up? Also when to apply the hide paste? Any info would be appreciated.

2. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

I model the eye`s first then apply hide paste then slide cape on screw antlers on sew between antlers then start fixing him up or you can model the eye`s after you put the cape on try it both way`s and see which one you like better hope this helps

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

When you start sewing 10 inches down, sew from the top down after you have matched the ears up, never sew from the bottom up towards the head or you will have missed matched sides.

4. Thanks for the info! I will give this a try on my next mount.