1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Markings too dark

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Ed, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Ed

Ed Member

I just finished painting a L.M. bass and the markings on the side are a bit too dark. What is the best way to lighten them up without repainting the whole fish?

2. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Re: markings to dark

Hey Ed!

What I do is use a combination of some powders colors to lighten up dark areas such as you describe. It will not be a quick fix unless you have them already how ever you can find them at a few art stores and or a few online sites such as www.dickblick.com . I know WASCO will be carrying more of them to add to there line of Polytranspar powder pigments.

There are several ways you can do this such as lightly go over it before it is glossed with a 0000/ steel wool. This will remove some of the paint with out totally destroying your area. As I said however the darkness is not really too much of a problem if you tone it down with some powders. Here is what I like to use.

The colors I would use to lighten up the spots are a sunset gold or a warm color of gold and or antique gold which is a bit darker this will blend and to me down the area nicely. If you have any questions you can sure call or write to me!

My Best!

Rick Krane
    Anglers Artistry