1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dan Rinehart school of taxidermy

Discussion in 'Training' started by dkslayer33, Oct 31, 2013.

1. dkslayer33

dkslayer33 New Member

I'm considering going to Dans for Deer Heads & Fish, I would like to hear from some former students or those who have some insight on the school???

2. Wegner

Wegner New Member

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I found that Dan's classes are only taught around the product he sells. Remember the old saying their is more than one way to skin a cat, you will not learn that in Dan's class

4. huntnfish

huntnfish Member

I was disappointed in his class because as riverrat said, he only teaches using his products such as the preset eyes, CAD nose and earliners. I was frustrated in the fact that not once in class did we learn to set an eye using clay and did not learn as much about anatomy and placement as I was expected when I took the class. My opinion is there is better options and you could learn as much (or more) by trying to hook up with a local taxidermist willing to help you out.

5. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

That was tacky

6. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

While I have not taken his class one thing to remember is you only get what you put into. I have taken classes at 4 different instructors and now plan on going to a 5th this Feb.. I have found that everyone of them gave me knowledge in areas different from the other. I would suggest that you look for the one that gives you what you want. I've been to classes with Joe Meder, Jerry Frolich, Jimmy Lawrence, and Kent Reedy. Next class will be with Steve Klee. All of these are top in their field.

7. sid

sid New Member

www.secondcreation.com 913-422-3111 kansas city kansas

8. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I thought hijacking threads was not allowed not to mention that this to me appears to be unethical or certainly at least, VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. Start your own thread if you want to advertise your training services.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

After reading his articles in Taxidermy Today and seeing his finishing technics I feel he is lacking. They just seem very basic and lack appropriate depth in color etc. As an example, in the articles and videos he paints a good coat of dark brown around the eyes and thats it. Black nose, etc. He is very talented at selling himself. Ever see pictures of him with the sponsor/ promotion patch shirt. There are much better alternatives as RichMO said.

10. Darrin R

Darrin R New Member

I attended Dennis Rineharts school. American Institute of taxidermy, and was very pleased. Far as the deer heads go, using preset eyes allows them to teach the technique of mounting a head in a week. When it comes to the fish mounting Dennis takes 2 weeks to teach it. Which is well worth it, you do 7 fish, and one of the weeks is just training on how to use an airbrush. Which to me was the most valuable thing i picked up. I am by no means an artist and was very pleased with how my fish turned out.

11. kosterman

kosterman New Member

X2 - I took the AIT classes too on was very happy with Dennis and his training.

12. I would pass on the Dan Rinehart school. As stated earlier, he likes to have his class based around his products. He also doesn't give much freedom in his class (strictly deer head class from my experience). We learned on the last day of class, for about ten minutes, how to set and eye using clay. If you want to learn the basics, I would try and find a class that has small (one-three) students per instructor. Don't get me wrong, it was a very fun class and i learned a decent amount of knowledge, and i am not trying to bad mouth Dan's class by any means. I would just recommend going in a different direction if you want to learn deer head taxidermy at a higher level. Hope this helps.

13. I went to Dan's scool and was very pleased! He is a wonderful teacher and one hell of a taxidermist. He teaches you the basics and i am a full time taxidermist thanks to him and his products. Yes he teaches useing his products but the lessons can be used on anyone elses products as well. As stated above, you only get what you put into school, and that goes for any taxidermy school. I saw some students while i was there that just did'nt want to do their best and some that did. I have been in touch with many of my classmates and most are flourishing itn their taxidermy shops thanks to Dan.