1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

competition ?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by 00buckshot, Nov 4, 2013.

1. 00buckshot

00buckshot New Member

I learned how to do taxidermy from videos and I've started doing it commercially now. I've never been to a competition, but I think I would like to try one. Is there levels of competition that I wouldn't get laughed out of the room but would have the challenge to step up my skill level.

2. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

The middle category which is open/proffesional division depending on what your state calls it is going to be your best bet to learna dn get your work to the best commercial and competition standards. This division is supose to focus on the actual anatomy of the animal and not the compesition and base work (although it doesn't hurt to do these extra things). This division is designed to teach you the correct anatomy and how to produce a quality mount and you don't have to alter forms or do anything elaborate. A stock head on the wall is just fine exspecially for just starting out and wanting to learn to get the basics right first. I wouldn't start in the amature/begginer/commercial divsion since alot of shows only judge them from a few feet. You will get more out of it by entering in the pro/open div. Get involved at the shows meeting and talking with people and attend the seminars. I've probably learned more outside of seminars and at the bar. You just need to make friends and talk with people. Good luck

3. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

If you are worried about your work getting laughed out of the room you should not be doing commercial work. You are in all actuality practicing on unsuspecting customers trophies. There are levels of competition from novice to Masters and even Masters of Masters. You really should join and attend. They are a wealth of knowledge from many different peoples point of views.

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I was in the same position as you many years ago, had no idea as to what to expect going to my first competition. Best move I ever made as I found out what quality taxidermy was. And yes there is a novice or amateur division in most state shows and no you won't be laughted out of the room. Just being part of an association is a win win on your part.

5. 00buckshot

00buckshot New Member

Thanks, maybe I can find some here close to central Florida that I can attend. Is there different groups that do shows, I've looked to try to find upcoming competitions and I didn't see hardly any in FL.

6. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

With the thin hides of Florida deer you should be putting out beautiful mounts. My advice is to strictly study anatomy. Practice building all muscles on a spare form. Once you get that down build it then put a hide over it. Watch for drumming and hair pattern positions. Make sure form is symmetrical.

Best of luck

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. 00buckshot

00buckshot New Member

I was kind of joking about getting laughed at. Last year was the first year doing commercial work but I've been doing work for myself and friends for seven years. I've been taking my work to expos and craft shows and getting alot of compliments even from other taxidermist. We all know that the average Joe
    would love a mount that a judge would pick to peices and thats why I want to do a competition.

8. 00buckshot

00buckshot New Member

Thanks, you are right about these Florida deer they do make beautiful mounts although I have to be careful on the fleshing machine or they will look like swiss cheese.

9. 00buckshot

00buckshot New Member

Just trying to figure out how to post my pic on here. forgive me if its messed up.

Attached Files:

10. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Nice mount, dude. Compete in professional divisin to start, you won't regret. You will also build contacts and friendships.

11. 00buckshot

00buckshot New Member

Thanks Randy I appreciate the compliment and the advice.

12. Fogvalley

Fogvalley New Member

Good topic I plan to give it a go this year too don't have any idea what to expect or what it is I will be judged on though I understand it's supposed to look life like but all the searching I do comes up shooting blanks. I understand there is sort of criteria but I can't find it anyone got any helpful advise? Little things that judges look for? I know it's one persons opinion on one day but other then that any thing? Thanks

13. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

1. Do not be afraid, you will see many mounts just like yours, some better and some worse. Nobody goes to laugh at the mounts, everyone goes to learn and share.
    2. Take a mount, do not leave it at home, don't worry if it has a flaw or two, it will have more flaws when you bring it back home, flaws you never saw or knew about.
    3. Make friends, yes, open your mouth and talk. You will find that many guys are at the same level as you are.
    4. Take an open mind, leave your pride at home because the judge is going to stomp on it,, in a nice way. That is the only way you will learn is if you go open minded.
    5. What ever it cost you, it is a cheap lesson.

14. Don't worry about it, go there and have fun
    compared with nature itself we are all beginners.

15. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

Your mount looks really good, especially the body. I see a few things like nose needs texture. Also if a deers nose isn't wet it's sick. Just like most animals. The nostrils are a little off try using a rasp and shaping nostrils and rebuilding with apoxie sculpt or buy replacement nose for comp piece. Ears kinda have the bondo look maybe a little thick. Fix this minor details and you my friend can have a first place deer.

Also if you join your states association you will not regret it. You will learn a ton. Competition is one of the best ways for anybody to better themselves. There are plenty guys that don't compete that go to comps just to learn and take classes.

If there is anything I can help with I would be more than happy to help. I'm sure with many others on here that are much better than the two of us combined.

16. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

I agree with low t as well, make sure you leave your pride at home. Keep an open mind.
    I have had a piece I had countless hours in rebuilt every muscle I possibly could mounted it thought it was the best mount ever and go a new butt torn. Then at same time entered mounts I just new wouldn't score well and placed first. Depends on judge and what he is looking for.

17. 00buckshot

00buckshot New Member

Thanks for pointing out what you see could be better thats what I'm looking for. I will pay closer attention to the nose and ears and you are right those are bondo ears.

18. wjwhited

wjwhited New Member

I competed for my first time last year and some but not all of the things the judge looked for on whitetails was, proper nicitating membrane, septum and eye sculpture. I learned more at my first competition than I did in watching all my videos. I entered the professional division and did score a third place but walked out with the knowledge that has improved my skills substantially. I hope to do even better next year. Many associations also have certification processes in multiple areas. Go, have a good time and don't let the criticism you may receive hamper your desire to be a taxidermist.

19. whackybird

whackybird At first you can't succeed, Try, Try again!

I plan on going to a competition next year some time :)

Oh and by the way, your deer looks pretty dang good. :)

20. kahoff

kahoff New Member

Don't worry about being laughed at. I was either dumb enough or smart enough to enter my very first deer I ever did in a competition. I thought it looked ok at the time until I got it there and saw it next to other peoples deer. It was horrible looking, but I learned so much by doing that. I would walk back and forth to the peoples deer that won all the awards and then compare to mine. One of the other taxidermists pointed out to me that I saved myself years of a learning curve by doing that. And I did. The next deer I did was 100 times better than my first because of everything I learned. Just remember that you have to start somewhere and don't expect to win anything at first. I thought your deer looked very good so you are well on your way.