1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Molding striped bass head

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by TnMatt, Nov 5, 2013.

1. TnMatt

TnMatt Member

Okay, I am having trouble cleaning out this striper head , I am just going to cast it. I have cast numerous trout heads with alginate but never anything this big. On occasion I have had my mold tear when removing the head from the mold. Should I use a different product to make a mold of the striper head, if so what? Or would the alginate work?

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I would...........

I would use GI 1100 silicone. Not much more in cost than alginate, and you can get numerous casts from a silicone mold.

:)

Kerby...

3. You can set the head up and mold it with silicone fromt he hardware store.. Sometime striper heads are very hard boned.

Product Details
    Fiskars 7920 Stainless Steel Bypass Pruner

$15.99 $8.62
    Order in the next 20 hours and get it by Thursday, Nov 7.
    More Buying Choices
    $5.51 new (14 offers)

(19)
    FREE Shipping on orders over $35
    Tools & Home Improvement: See all 1,140 items
    at Amazon.

++++++++

Matuska has these and they are darn good shears.
    Weznits Scissors

Wezsnits ultimate scissors are ideal for any extremely tough cutting job. The titanium nitride blade coating resists scratches, wear, and corrosion. 8" overall length.

PRODUCT INFORMATION
    $16.50

4. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

If it's not a fish you do often I'd buy a head from someone. Those suckers eat up a lot of material =$$$. For fun I'd just rtv the mouth and two part mold the head with bondo

5. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

Oh dang you probably done did something by now. Old post. Sorry