1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rabbits...just say NO!

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by joeym, Nov 5, 2013.

1. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

For everyone who pi$$es and moans about mounting squirrels, mount one of these suckers and you'll wish you were mounting a squirrel. I have not mounted a rabbit in years, and thought I'd never fool with another, but a kid killed this one with a pellet gun, and begged his dad to get it mounted. I happened to be the fortunate guy that was stupid enough to take it on. There are more torn places in the skin on this critter than you can imagine...I resorted to brads, and repaired them all after it was on the mannikin. The ears were opened and bondo'ed...no real trouble there, but the rest was a pain. I hope that in some way this thing resembles a bunny...maybe with some habitat, I can at least get a "wow" from the kid who shot it, LOL!

[​IMG]

2. I'd rather slam my **** in the door than mount a bunny! I'm sure the boy will be pleased with his trophy. Good job!

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Joey, Joey, Joey. These competition gurus are going to laugh at this, but commercial potentials are easy. Ventral cut and then cut the legs off at the shoulders and hips. Peel the legs down to the ankle and wrist and remove the leg meat like a bird. Wire them just like a bird and inject the feet (remember the lucky rabbit foot of our childhood?) The body and head skiN are pretty tough. I inject and card the ears. They're much easier than tree rats because their fur is long enough to cover screw ups.

4. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

I dread bunnies of all types as well, but you have to go into it realizing you are dealing with the animal equivalent of a bodybuilder's meal replacement bar. They unwrap easily and are full of nutrition and that's why carnivores the world over love them. Unfortunately for us, the things that make them appealing to predators drives us nuts. I soak/thaw them in denatured alcohol, 100% and let it toughen up the skin a little bit. Then, I pretty much do exactly as George does. You can't rush through a bunny and you better make sure the form is a perfect fit. Hell, even if the form is a little bit smaller even better. The worst part about rabbits, I think, is skinning down the legs. I find that is where the skin is thinnest and tears the easiest if you manhandle it. Cut the form apart and put it back together once it's back in the skin.

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

All good advice I hope to never use! Thanks guys!

6. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

Rabbits, we've done plenty wild and pet and its the alcohol bath prior to tanning that is a must to toughen up the skin,,, now if you guys want a real challenge , try bandicoots ,, they tear even if you breath on them and there tail is like skinning a worm,,, they are the "trogans" of the mammal world

7. Riddler

Riddler Member

sounds like the answer to mounting rabbits is to send the customer to your competition!

8. dablaw

dablaw Member

Heres a rabbit i did a while back..I think it was more challenging than the damned cat was..lol..Thanks George for the polyfill idea though..only way to do it on a critter thats going to be in a predators mouth...

Attached Files:

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I've always turned and bondo'd the ears. George, what do you inject them with? I would like to try your method.

10. snowhare

snowhare New Member

Yall wuzz they are just so easy to make , if you know how to handle um Bunny s lol

Attached Files:

11. whackybird

whackybird At first you can't succeed, Try, Try again!

Good to know..

I wanted to try to mount a bunny i was planning on shooting with a .22.. Not anymore. to much work for me. ill stick with my birdies and possibly tanned baby skunk 8)

12. DL

DL Well-Known Member

So Joey are you saying they are the Wood Duck of the mammal kingdom?

13. buckmasters243

buckmasters243 Active Member

What do you inject them with and where,elaborate a bit please.From what I read you inject and push it to the edge.

14. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I use "4in1" injection fluid from Touchstone ( Find them in the "Suppliers" section in the "Quick Links" section above.)

15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Thanks!

16. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

nice rabbit snowhare,,,i also like the big Australian type

Attached Files: