1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How long can a raw deer hide can...

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by frenchydermist, Nov 7, 2013.

1. frenchydermist

frenchydermist New Member

How long can a raw deer hide ( not salted, with some meat on it) can last at 0-2 degres Celsius so it is still good to tan??
    I`m mostly a bird taxidermist and would like to put my hands on some deers.. That butcher has some hides to give me but they have been a couple of days on the deer and after skinning, he just toss them in a corner of his fridge for another couple of days..
    Will they still be good for tanning ????
    Thanks!!!!

2. Jackson1814

Jackson1814 Active Member

That's the million dollar question. Too many variables that could affect the hide, but with the description of how the hides have been handled, I wouldn't get my hopes up. I'd say go look at them and see what you think. If you find a couple that you think may work take them. You'll need to get them fleshed and into a pickle in a hurry. If they don't work out, your out a little money and time.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

You never know unless you try, we wouldn't have a clue because we don't have the skins, you do. Always expect them to fall apart, and always be happy when they don't.

4. frenchydermist

frenchydermist New Member

Thanks for the advices...I guess I'll go by instinc and give a try to the ones that looks the best...

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I think you would have a few days of flexibility at 0C/32F plus a few degrees. I have walk in cooler. Some times deer will be in there a few days at 40F before I cape it out. Rarely do I lose one that comes in fresh.