1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Degreasing elk skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Elkhuntr1, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Elkhuntr1

Elkhuntr1 New Member

What kind of a container are you guys using to degrease a bull elk skull?
    Thanks, Elkhuntr

2. weighttrain_2000

weighttrain_2000 New Member

If I'm just soaking the skull in liquid dawn without heat, I use a plastic tote that I've modified to fit the skull. If I'm adding low heat I use the same pot I use to simmer the skull. I try to keep my tote as clean and possible after each use.

3. Elkhuntr1

Elkhuntr1 New Member

How did you modify your plastic tote? Any pics? Why would you be soaking it in Dawn with out heat?
    Thanks

4. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

I use gallon jugs filled with water to place around the elk skull to displace whatever chemical I'm using and raise the level to cover elk skulls. This saves a couple gallons of product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

I use coolers and galvanized tubs, they fit nice in the degreasing tanks and you can get two elk in at once.

[​IMG]

6. Dog....you kicking out any breakers!!! :) Next year I need to remodel a little and I've have to run some new wiring and another breaker box!

7. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

No, I had the whole shop wired with individual 30 amp circuts, 5 of them, so I rarely bust any.

8. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I never.........

I never use heat with my Dawn Dishwashing liquid either.

:)

Kerby...

9. Elkhuntr1

Elkhuntr1 New Member

Kerby, does it seem to work with out heat? Slower?

10. Kerby Ross

Yes, it works............

Yes it works, it is the Dawn that degreases, not the heat.

Do the animal rescue people heat up the Dawn dishwashing liquid to 110 degrees before they put the live birds in the tub to clean off the oil from the oil spills?

Kerby...

11. Kerby Ross

I use.....

I use maceration to get all the meat off a skull. Then into the Dawn. I do change out the Dawn every couple of days. The last step is to put the skull into hydrogen peroxide (cheap Wal Mart stuff) for a day or two.

The only time I use heat is during the maceration. During the summer time here in Arizona I just put a big flat stone on top to keep the animals and flies out. During the winter time I use an aquarium heater to heat the water a little to help the maceration.

But I absolutely do not heat the Dawn soaking.

Kerby...

[​IMG]

12. Elkhuntr1

Elkhuntr1 New Member

Thanks for the info Kerby. Why does everyone use bucket heaters then to degrease?

13. JRose

JRose Member

I'm interested in this topic as well.
    I usually heat the dawn water to 110 degrees, but always seems that many of my skulls reach an *almost" degreased point and just stop. There's a hint of yellow beneath the surface that I know will seep out someday!
    Oddly, I recently found (by accident) that leaving skulls in 40~ degree dawn water very quickly stripped out that lingering, stubborn grease! I'm very impressed by the amount of degreasing that occurred in my near-freezing dawn water, compared to the lack of progress in my heated water. Is there an explanation for this?

14. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

I too noticed recently that when I went on a pig hunt for a week, I changed all my waters in all my tanks and turned off the heat. Too my surprise when I returned all my tanks had grease floating on the surface not just a little either. I think I will run a couple tanks with heat and a couple without heat and see what the difference in turn around time is. It would sure safe a f- load of money in electric costs.

15. I cant imagine that Heat'less water and dawn would degrease better or the same as heated water with dawn?????????????///

No way.

The next time you cook bacon try and clean the pan with cold water and soap..................I think warm water and soap is a LOT faster.

16. CA Trapper

CA Trapper Member

Maybe the grease was always there? Once it cooled the grease basically congealed making it more noticeable in the form you saw. I'm just guessing.

17. Kerby Ross

I'm..........

I'm not saying cold water Dawn works better than heated Dawn. But I do know cold water works....and that is a fact.

Of course hot water can break down bacon grease.....without Dawn....... :)

Kerby...

18. JRose

JRose Member

I'm gauging the level of degreasing occurring largely by the visibility of it in/on the bone. Skulls with deep purple grease marks quickly lightened to orange, yellow, and then disappeared altogether. Naturally the water was cloudy. Whereas my heated skulls retained their deep dark stains, releasing very little, not changing in appearance, and not dirtying their water.

19. Whitetail365

Whitetail365 New Member

This is very interesting. I'm currently struggling with degreasing, I have a constant battle with mold in my garage and it's pretty bad right now.

My current setup is 5 gallon water coolers with a aquarium tank heater inside (I have four of these running at the same time). I was thinking about making lids out of plywood for each of them with a cut out for the antlers to keep the vapors from escaping and then condensing on the ceiling and molding, but I know that's going to start causing mold to form on the antlers and i don't really want that either.

I might try the non-heated method, that would definitely stop the mold from forming on the ceiling of the garage (save on electricity too).

Interested to see how much longer it would take. I have noticed when I have a tank heater die on me the water with the skull still seems to pull grease from the skull color regardless of if there's heat or not.

In the no heat method I wonder if there's any benefit for having a small circulation pump. I have two water coolers with circulation pumps but with the heat it doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference.

20. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

I wonder if the rotting process is just continuing and that is what is removing the stains?