1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Keeping you friends and taxidermy

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by jhunter13, Nov 8, 2013.

1. When you were learning and really needing some deer to learn with....where did you turn?

2. Fogvalley

Fogvalley New Member

My instructor lol. I could see what you mean if I hadn't gone to a school I woulda tried gettin deer from friends.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

To a weekend lesson with a pro or two. Why blow all that practice and materials on guessing? (like I did) I threw together a dozen deer as fast as I could because I had it so bad and couldn't wait. All junker clunkers before I found that formal lessons got me farther then guessing did.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

LOL...that's a good quote of the day!!!

5. sleeper

sleeper New Member

I dont mind helping a friend if i know he will help me in the future. Like many others in here i gain a whole bunch of so called friends come fall. The true friends are there all year.

Your call.

6. lrc1492

lrc1492 Member

Yep.

7. Bugica5

Bugica5 New Member

My buddy does all my bird mounts for me and I pay him the full price as anyone else.he has to make a living also for his family.i have no problem paying the rate for his speed and quality.

8. TaxiTammy

TaxiTammy New Member

Thanks for the good advice. Some of us just starting are happy just to have something to mount lol! I figure if they let me practice and it doesn't cost them much they take what they can get without complaining!! lol!!

9. EA

EA Well-Known Member

I must be foolish. Although not taxidermy, as a carpenter I have donated hundreds of hours work to family and friends. To me it's money in the bank. When I need them, they are there.

On the Taxidermy end, many years ago my cousin gave his cousin a "family deal". I believe it was $1800 for a life size Mt. lion pouncing on a life size doe + a nice rock base.. The cousin said the price was too high and he was "ripping him off". They haven't spoke since.

10. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

Every one of my customers pay full price except 3 of them cause they are true friends and at that it`s only a 50$ discount. The worst thing to start is cutting your price. Why should I give a discount to people who want to be friends during hunting season it`s a BAD business move!!! You will fell better about yourself and try harder on the mount when you stick to your price I call it self esteem

11. Franklin

Franklin Guest

I`m in line with George, Mason and EA on this one. Some of you guys must be very lonely. lol Friends get a discount and never have I been taken advantage of.

12. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

Some friends get a discount here also. Your real friends won't ask for one, you give it to them because you want to.

13. Franklin

Franklin Guest

Excellant point, Donnie.

14. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

Real friends and family never ask for a discount and I don't give anyone a discount anymore. I do extra for them because they are friends. I do things like getting the kids WTD mounts by Christmas. I will make it a wall pedestal or open mouth etc. Don't tell them, just suprise them with the "extras".

NEVER let any work leave your shop with it not being payed for in full (100%). Quickest way to lose a friend is over money and it makes for an uncomfortable Thanksgiving dinner with family.

I take in ALL work even if they do not have a deposit. NEVER turn away work. I do clearly explain that it will not get mounted with out the deposit of 30%. I have a contract that they sign that explains everything and every body must sign it.

People like to try to get you to not charge tax. In PA it is 6%. They all so want to pay with cash and get a discount. Every one pays tax and in cash, no exceptions. I will take a credit card as payment, put charge 5%.

I do vary good work at a more then fair price. You still have bills to pay and giving a discount will not do that.

15. Years ago I took in a friends 140" 8 pt & gave him a $100 off. He didn't have money on him for a deposit & said he'd get it to me in a week. I tanned his so I wouldn't loose freezer space to a frozen head. A month goes by & no deposit but I was placing another large order & decided to order his form, eyes & ear liners. Another month goes by, I call him & tell him I'm ready to start his mount, says he'll be by next week money's tight. That buck is still on the wall in my shop to remind me never to give discounts & never start a mount without 50% of money in my pocket. Even when I see him he never asks about his deer and it's a hell of a nice buck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

George is right....there are "friends" and there are "acquaintances" and you have to be able to distinguish between them. My family has things that I OWE them. Most do things for me without asking for anything in return. In fact, most I have to find out what they'd like and do it behind their backs. I have a nephew who's always coming by and doing things for my "just in case" he ever gets something he wants mounted......I owe him! I have one brother in law who is always coming over with his Bobcat and doing things for me and he won't take a penny in return. I wish he would kill or catch something, so I could start to pay him back. I'm sure glad I don't have the kind of friends and family that some of you have.

17. bowelk

bowelk Member

I discount 10% for friends and family. Everything else remains the same - 50% upfront except for migratory birds which are 100% upfront. I will not take any specimen in possession without the deposit. They are always welcome to take it elsewhere. I operate as a business first and foremost.

18. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I tan hides for my dad at cost or for free. My one friend, clients who have brought over 10 animals a year, or clients who have invited me on their ranch and gotten me a pig or something get a 10% discount. Everyone else pays full price no matter what. I have a sign on my door that says: "A real friend wouldn't take a discount even if I offered one!" If it's a good friend and you want to keep the friendship, offer 10% off, and tell him not to tell anyone because you don't usually offer discounts to anyone, but because he's such a good friend...
    That should smooth things over.

19. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Free, did he expect you to pay for material as well. Not a friend I would want.

20. BWebbs31

BWebbs31 Classic Skull Mounts, LLC

I got some friends that send their family, friends & co-workers my way. If they do that, I typically give them a discount for sending me the business. It's not a huge discount by any means, but its enough back scratching for them to keep sending the business my way, and to say thanks.

As far as family goes, I won't charge them. There aren't many hunters in my family, so it's not burden for me to do the work.