1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Would you say coyote or wolf?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by huntnfish, Nov 11, 2013.

1. huntnfish

huntnfish Member

Got this on my trail camera and not sure if its a coyote or a young wolf....would like your thoughts. Either way it would make a beautiful mount and would love to see it in person.
    [​IMG]

2. Melanistic coyote. No doubts. It's a beauty. You rarely see them that black. My buddy killed one almost exactly like it last year. Coal black except a white chest diamond. I love to hunt predators and that's a true trophy!

3. huntnfish

huntnfish Member

I was thinking coyote also and the pic doesn't show really clear on here but when I zoom on the actual photo it does have a real neat white marking on the chest. Just curious because we are starting to have an increase in wolf sitings around here. Thanks for the input.

4. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Yote

5. grumpa

grumpa Active Member

Do you have a history of off colored coyotes in your area??

6. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Coyote or some bodies fido is taking a stroll.

7. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Not a wolf. Coyote probably, but high forehead and shape of snout makes me think it could be a domestic dog. Hard for me to definitively judge from that photo. I would check for a collar...

8. huntnfish

huntnfish Member

I have gotten several coyotes on camera this fall but most are night time pictures but they look like plain colored yotes so I would say we don't have a history of off colored ones in the area. I am pretty familiar with the area and am not aware of any domestic dogs even close to looking like this one but would definitely look for a collar before I pulled the trigger.

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Actually I was thinking Spitz. The muzzle seems too delicate for a wild canid and the tail posture is inverted to either a fox, coyote or wolf.

10. I would say coyote. Very nice animal.

11. GySgt401

GySgt401 New Member

Yot !

12. Yote

13. spurhunter

spurhunter Active Member

SC
    Yote for sure. We've killed three just like this off the farm in the last ten years or so. They all had the small white patch on their brisket as well.

14. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

yote

15. elkevo

elkevo Tailgate Bucks

coyote for sure, it's legs are to skinny for a wolf unless this dog was wading in water and hair was stuck to his bones.