1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

To lie or not to lie!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by taxdude, Nov 14, 2013.

1. taxdude

taxdude New Member

A lady calls me and says she caught an 8 pound largemouth and wants it mounted. That's big for around here (northeast Indiana). She brings in a 20" skinny fish and says think it will at least go 7 ? I'm a fish fanatic and know it might go 4. I told her I'm not real good with weights and my scales aren't that accurate.I mounted it, put it on driftwood. Months later she picks it up and asked if i weighed it. I replied i did not. She said" that's ok I'll just weigh it when i get it home"! All i could come up with is "That"ll work.
    Do ya act stupid with some people or do tell them the truth??

2. In this situation you deserve and ocscar.... :eek:

3. taxdude

taxdude New Member

Thanks but i'm probably going to hell !

4. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Here.....

Here's Your Sign!

:)

Kerby...

5. Maybe it is just me........but unless it is a pro or tourney guy, all my customers have the "Big Eye"!!!!

6. What has always amazed me is the people who stretch the length of their fish (often times by several inches), when I am charging them per inch!

7. Yeah....their wives are probably confused about the length of certain other things too...... ::)

8. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Same thing with whitetails here in KY, they often ask me to score the antlers. What will it go 140 maybe close to 150 all I can do is say maybe but im terrible at it but that's my guess too. God forgive me most are like 120. Hey but its there tale they can spin it anyway they want right. ;-)

9. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

I have a flexible tape AND a very accurate grocery scale here. I measure every fish I can right in front of the customer. If that's not possible I take a photo of the fish on the tape and send a copy of the photo to the customer. I expect the customer to completely agree with what size his fish is before I start the work. If they persist in disputing my measurements they can take their fish and hit the road.

10. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

There are no bigger liars than fisherman. I have a 6 3/4 lb bass in my trophy room now that has a trophy plate with the customers name and a weight of 10 lbs. I try to weigh fish in front of them too.

11. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I don't lie, but I don't offer the truth either! Who cares if a customer THINKS their bass is a 10 pounder? It's not my job to weigh it nor do I have a scale accurate enough to do so (and I wouldn't want one!). I'm getting paid by the inch and the length is all I care about. Who am I to shatter one's dreams of their "10 pound bass"??? Let their friends give them grief if it even ever comes up. Why would I rain on their parade? If anything they're going to shoot the messenger and I'll never get another fish from them. All that matters is that their check clears! What they tell their friends and family is THEIR business!

12. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Oh That Hurts! ;D

13. That has had me scratching my head before too. Some complain about my price and then tell me their fish is 5" bigger than what it actually is. I wanted to tell this one guy I would lower my price per inch, but we were going to use his tape measure!

14. Fogvalley

Fogvalley New Member

My instructor told me the biggest wallye he ever saw...the guy said its a carp. Woulda been top 5 fish in the state but the customer didn't believe him so it just stayed a carp. sometimes you have just smile and say yep and not laugh till there gone.

15. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

My wife and I were doing some work in our kitchen yesterday moving some cabinets around. I needed a shim cut from a 2x2 and the saw was out on the porch. I told her I needed a piece cut and to just cut it the length of my c--k since there wasn't a tape measure out on the porch. We chuckled, but when she came back in the house with a 9 inch piece of 2x2, I knew she also fell into the catagory of the exagerators!

16. trky

trky New Member

Just had the same thing happen with a smallmouth. Their fishing guide told them it was a solid seven. My scakes said four and half. Im not going to bring it up when they come to pick up but if they ask I will tell them the same thing you did

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

17. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

I always make sure they see accurate measurements and weights. Of not it will end up biting you in the butt. You either swapped their fish or made it smaller than it was. Once all their friends see it and they don't bite their tongue and tell them the fish isn't 10 lbs... It passes down the line to the taxidermist.

Ok all of that was completely rambled but maybe you get the point.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

18. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Yep, keep good measurements. I'll take a photo or two of their fish in it's original wrappings if their LENGTH estimates are off by much. And they'll get a "heads-up" phone call if their LENGTH is off by more than an inch or so. I've never had a need to go back to the photos or tracings with a customer. When you question things before mounting their fish (if there's a problem) then you have some leverage and the customer has then made the decision to move forward. Then you won't have any "surprises" when it comes to pick-up time. A tape measure and original tracing doesn't lie. And for me, I don't care what weight the customer says it is unless asked. It just doesn't matter from our perspective...

19. MadeInUSA

MadeInUSA New Member

I once caught a 50 pound bluegill! No lie!

;)

20. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Hey madeinusa

Did you use a two Lb cricket