1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Full Time or Part Time?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by huntnfish, Nov 19, 2013.

1. huntnfish

huntnfish Member

I was talking with a client yesterday and he had been talking with another local taxidermist and somehow my name was brought up. The other taxidermist said he was full time and I was "only a part-timer" and that I had only been doing this a couple years. Well I started my shop in 2008 with the intention of doing "part time" taxidermy since my "full time" job is a paramedic. We work 24 hour shifts on a rotating schedule so basically I work about 10 days per week on the ambulance. My shop has become very busy the past several years (not complaining a bit) and I now spend between 40-50 hours per week in the shop. Just curious if you think the term "part timer" is based on # of animals done per year, or if its your main income that makes you a "full timer", or is it the amount of hours you spend doing this. Not that it really matters if you are putting out quality work but just curious to your thoughts. Thanks

2. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    As long as you have another full time job(especially with benefits) I believe you are a part timer no matter how many hours you work. I think the full timers refer to us as the guys with a golden umbrella or something like that ;D

3. huntnfish

huntnfish Member

I understand what you are saying....but can a guy have 2 full-time jobs. Not sure why the label "part timer" associated with my shop bothers me because I have seen some phenomenal work by "part timers". As long as my customers are happy and I have a work load I am happy with, what difference it does it really make, but when I heard this comment I was instantly offended as if my work was inferior because he was full-time.

4. I would imagine it only bothers you because of the context around it. If I'm doing anything 40 hours a week, it is a fulltime job. If you only needed 8 hours of sleep a week you could have 4 fulltime jobs. I guess it is even possible for someone to pay you to sleep, so if you did it 40 hours a week and got paid for it, it would be a fulltime job.

5. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Dont worry about what some wind bag said . sounds like to me he is a little worred bout you and your work ! Keep at it and dont let people get to ya let you work do the talking . if you are working 40 hours a week thats full time to me .

6. Sounds to me like a sale gimmick..."insulting" you so the customer uses him instead. I'm sure if that other taxidermist knew that you know what he said, he'd probably back off real quick and apologize. Bad-mouther and a bully is all he is. Don't let it get to you.

7. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

I would say the biggest factor would be availability. If you kept regular business hours, so your customers could stop by any time during those hours, to me that's full time, regardless if you have another job outside those hours. But if your availability varies from week to week, I would call that part time. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with that. Some of the best taxidermists around are part timers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. huntnfish

huntnfish Member

I thought about calling him because he had also commented that his work is better that mine however I have never met him or spoken to him so not sure what he is basing that on but thought better than to stoop to that level because I think it's poor practice to bash a competitor. If a customer asks me about another taxidermist, I simply respond that I do not know much about him or her but this is my work and this is my price and if it is acceptable to you, I would love to have you as a customer. When I posted the original question, I guess I was just curious what people would say qualifies someone as "full-time" or "part-time"

9. gab

gab Active Member

I like to use the term garage taxidermist.this references the fact that they don't have a storefront,not how many they do or how many hours they put in.

10. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I'll weigh in on this, I'm a garage taxidermist, also I am full time and damn proud of it. So, paying extra overhead for a storefront makes you a "true" full time taxidermist? ???

11. Fogvalley

Fogvalley New Member

My storefront is a building in my back yard, it lacks a garage door. And it's out in the country. Share the building with my dads furniture store. So what's that make me? I'm only part time now but hope to get enough work to be full time.

12. sportsmen wildlife

sportsmen wildlife New Member

I run a full time shop. Way back in the woods, and I am appointment only. I take in enough work to keep me going 60 hours a week 365 days a year. I worked in shops that had regular hours and it was a pain in the a##. Of coarse store fronts need to have business hours, but for me I get calls before they show up. Took me awhile to get clients in the grove but now I love it. No more showing up when I have bondo setting up or I am out picking up some screws that I forgot to get. You guys can have your business hours. During the season most customers show up in the evening or on weekends anyways, they call , give me a time and I'm there waiting. And If I want to take a few hours and go do what I want on a weekday and there are no appointments, well then, I go do it, if I want to work at night to make up the hours, well then, thats what I do. As a one man shop though, 40 hours a week would be part time to me.

13. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I work until 3:00pm at my day job Mon, Tues,Thurs Fri. Wednesday, Sat and Sunday and all nights are taxidermy. I guess I have 2 full time jobs. Wife also works 2 jobs, law office and as a Realtor, and we still don't have any money. LOL

14. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Nobodies friggin' business how you divide your hours. Tell them to buzz the Hell off. It's product for price. Other than that they can shove their noses up their asses IMO.

15. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

If your sole source of income is from taxidermy, I think would define full-time. Very few individuals, myself included, meet this criteria.

16. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Who cares what they say or think, do your on thing and don't worry about what others say.

17. Wheatfields

Wheatfields The woods are my home

The guy who said that intentionally ment it as a kick in the nuts to you man ! Bashing some one just shows insecurity on his part . Confront him . I would . When we started the Mrs and i Garagers ,had this jack ass named jack call me and try to jump me over handing my card to a neighbor . He said wtf are to doing trying to steal my Buisiness ect ect .. I snapped and told him my pov and that was the end of that deal ! I don't take kindly to bullying or someone going out of their way to talk crap! It spells out chicken sheep to me . Go knock on his door see what he has to say as a grown man . Make it a priority to better you work and to put his in the shade . Also remember this is America there's all kinds good n bad

18. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

I don't think it could have been said any better. Full vs part time is a waste of thought process and a desperate attempt at justifying ones self worth.

I have made hundreds of dollars in a matter of HOURS and I have made hundreds of dollars in a matter of DAYS. I definitely like the hours better. I would much rather do 40 whitetails a year at 600 than 80 at 300. Not to say that we all don't end up putting in extra hours at some point.

Do the best you can to work smart not long...

Best,
    Steve

19. kdogg_4

kdogg_4 Member

obstacles are the things we see when we take our eyes of the goal!!!! Who cares what Joe blow says about so and so.. Take it as a compliment and keep grinding.... You always know you are doing good when others start talking...My customers are the best at defending me, I don't need to .. Taxi customers are usually as loyal as they come . When someone claims you as theirs.."my taxidermist" they have a tendency to defend their "own" .. If you are making others nervous then good for you!!! Don't fall into the trap of this distraction.. keep up the grind, worry about yourself and set a standard for others to follow.. there is only two ways to look at it.. "Your either part of the solution or part of the problem". You pick...

20. huntnfish

huntnfish Member

I appreciate all the different views on this....I do have pride in my work and as long as my customers are happy then that is the ultimate goal. I can say I don't care what others think of me but like I said, when I actually heard someone say "he's just a part timer" it just struck a nerve. I would like to call him out on this but I honestly think that is poor taste just like him saying that about me. I know for a fact he is a member on here and hope he is following this post. I feel if you do the best you can and charge a fair price (yet leave room to make a little $$$) you should not have to bad mouth a competitor in your area. In fact I would think it would be more productive if somehow you could get along and help each other out if needed but obviously that feeling is not mutual.