1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

H & H Tannery

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by J Kelly, Nov 19, 2013.

1. J Kelly

J Kelly Member

Anybody use these guys for big game work. We have had a bad run on using tanneries lately. Someone recently told me about these guys so I'm looking for some input.
    Thanks

2. I know mike Boyce uses them, I can't say anything about them as I have some whitetails getting done right now , will see how things turn out with them

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. I use them quite a bit.They do very good work.

4. TexasBigFoot

TexasBigFoot New Member

They do great work tanning, the scent they use smells fantastic also!

5. Really? Did they change it? I stopped using them because of the scent/smell.

Great Tan but could not stand the smell

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. greatbasin

greatbasin Member

I am hoping their quality is as good on whole body and back skins as it is on capes.

7. rvink

rvink New Member

I know I'm late to the thread but when anyone asks about H and H I have to give my plug. I have used them for my personal stuff and at both commercial shops I have worked in. We have had nothing but great experiences with them. The tan is great and the customer service has been second to none as well. Great people to work with, I don't think you will be disappointed.

8. Smells like leather. I had them do some flats and they came out very good. Very clean low dust... One thing I really like is the fact that the hides are not full of pronghorn hair. I have used some tanneries that the broken pronghorn hair stuck in other tanned hide take time to clean up.

9. J Kelly

J Kelly Member

Thanks for the input guys. We gave them a try and sent a big Zambia order there and a bunch of other things.

10. J Kelly

J Kelly Member

Just got my first load back from H & H and it soaked up great, great stretch and it smells awesome. So far good people to deal with.

11. classicfur

classicfur Taxidermist - 30 Years

Maine
    I just sent them one WT cape with a 30 day rush on Dec 2 to check them out. I still have not received a conformation from them. Do they usually take this long to the Conformation?

Hoping to like their tan enough to send them 20 capes. They will do the fleshing service along with tanning.

Thanks, Jeff

12. J Kelly

J Kelly Member

I got the acknowledgement pretty quick. I mounted a white tail today and I must say that this is the best tanning we have received in the lsat 4 years...it's fantastic. It's like the WL Gallery was 10 years ago, it's like a wet rag and it's easy to prep and the sewing needle goes thru like butter. If they keep this kind of tanning and service they will get more of our tanning. I can't wait to get my Zambia order back.

13. classicfur

classicfur Taxidermist - 30 Years

Maine
    Thanks J Kelly.

I got a hold of H&H today and said that they received my shipment.

I had been using the WL Gallery and it seems they have been going downhill over the last few years. Stretch has been terrible and chunks of nose and nostril shave off.

I'm looking forward to dealing with a tannery that delivers a hide that's like the one you just got back.

Thanks everyone for your insight on H&H.

14. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

This probably should be moved to the Buyers and Sellers category.

15. They are fine for fox and yotes

16. Scottyboy

Scottyboy New Member

AZ
    Thanks for posting this, Jim..

I have a L/S ibex, a L/S mtn lion, and 2 ped muskox bulls to send to them.. I have been waiting to see if you gave them the "green light"..

The perpetual never ending tannery shuffle.

17. DARKLIGHTJAK

DARKLIGHTJAK To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;

I sent them 29 animals that mixed in with foxes, coyotes, wolves, deer, coons.
    only 6 foxes deteriorated but, ranch foxes you cant be to careful with.
    they are done, cant wait to get them at the first of the year!

from talking with Chris and talking to them first hand they seem like super nice people, from reading all the other people who have used them makes me excited even more to get this newest batch in!
    I plan on sending them more animals to come when I get everything i want from this trapping season.

18. bcstudio1

bcstudio1 New Member

Lisa, Mark and Chris are fantastic people to work with. I have been using them for several years and have been very pleased, great people.
    Craig

19. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Seems with all the good press they have been getting the turnaround is quite a bit, 6 months.