1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's the nastiest ,smelliest, make you gag animal to deal with ?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Wheatfields, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Wheatfields

Wheatfields The woods are my home

My wife and I new to taxidermy have been fortunate to have opportunities to mount a lot of stuff for being new. What are your guys/ gals least favorite nasty animals. We played hell getting a Catalina's smell out and that's one nasty sucker. It took gallons of bleach water on the floor and Oder eliminator to even put a dent in the stench . I really almost threw the fleshing table away . Recently we skinned 6 buffalo by our selves, a hell of a task , and it seems any thing to do with them, and their fluids is a smell that taints Everything, tools, boots ect! I had to wash my hands w everything under the sink and then some. After that I carried the smell in my nose for days ! Any Species top them, that we can prepare for....

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Gut shot coyotes. I think I'll take anything over another one of them.

3. Definitely coyotes, whether they were gutshot or had an "accident" when shot. :p

4. Wheatfields

Wheatfields The woods are my home

Nice just got traps waxed going to set them Friday for yoties and kitties! First time trapper but need something to mount after the deer are caught up with this winter! Maybe the smell won't be as bad for we re gonna club as much as possible/ choke pole ...

5. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Keep telling yourself that. lol. I think they start turning green as soon as their heart stops beating. I always wondered why all the old trapping pictures ive seen you always see them skinning everything outside in the dead of winter , now you know. I started doing this a few years ago and it helps alot with the smell.

6. I love predators but they are right about coyotes, mix rotten guts with wet dog and that's close. Still I don't flinch on them. My only experience of gagging since I started was when I was skinning a large striped bass in full "rut" so to speak. I'm no fan of fish smell but what got to me was when my hand went through the large sperm sacs down the belly. He had been jizzing on the table the entire time but when it squirted up my arm on my clothes I lost it. Never wanted a fish to give me a facial if you know what I mean. Ugh.

7. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Coyotes not good!
    I did a large cat from an animal sanctuary that died of kidney failure. I had to wear a respirator. I skinned it out inside the garage and literally had buzzards circling outside.

8. AWhiteCowboy

AWhiteCowboy New Member

Nothing has made me gag yet except for a head of a 300# boar that was left in the back of a truck for four hot Texas days, then my gracious boss left it in a broken deep freeze over night for me... It was horrid. But my least favorite smell is a bobcat, something about it doesn't sit right with me.

9. Ermine.

Biggest stink to size ratio.

10. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

COYOTES WITHOUT A DOUBT FOR ME.

11. Wow; I have only skinned one coyote (a female) and it was not bad at all. I guess that I got lucky :) It had been frozen as soon as harvested though, and I didn't let it sit long when thawed.

I skinned a male mink once and must have hit one of the scent glands. Smelled like unneutered male cat urine x 1000! That was the worst for me; I swear that the scent could peel paint off a wall.

Worse than that was when a friend and I thought that trying to skin a roadkilled raccoon in season was a good idea. let's just say.. it was not a good idea. Fur came off in clumps. We ended up just salvaging the skeleton on that one!

By far, male critters smell worse to me than females.

12. Rino T

Rino T New Member

Have you ever smelled a chest freezer full of animals and fish that got unplugged or has stopped working for a month or more? I know nothing tops that

13. Ugh! I can imagine. I have forgotten about buckets that just have bits of flesh/fat in them from fleshing critters out. Go back in that room in a few days.. ugh. I would imagine the unplugged freezer to be 1000x worse; more along the lines of the rotten roadkill.

14. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I've had some smelly animals but I'm also a mortician and rank odors are something I've become pretty comfortable with. Just breathing through your mouth has always worked pretty good for me.

15. noid

noid Member

i have nearly no sense of smell so no smells bother me

16. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Coyotes, and the stinky rotten deer heads the A-hole customers let stink before having the euros done. "It's just a skull" right? A-holes.

17. ponyboy

ponyboy Member

Badgers, then coyotes! How about a green belly coon?

18. GWebb

GWebb Active Member

Same here, smelled like the nastiest armpit+A$$, green bellied yotes don't phase me but that mink had me gagging for a few days. I didn't think it would ever air out of my shop.

19. A wolf that has been gut shot and then frozen rock hard. It is a smell so bad that you can taste it. Had a guy call me to skin one i told him my price he thought it was crazy as he left he mumbled something about doing it himself. hour later he called to see how much to skin 3/4 of a wolf.

20. Fogvalley

Fogvalley New Member

Fox and certain ducks / geese