1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's the nastiest ,smelliest, make you gag animal to deal with ?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Wheatfields, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Silverose01

Silverose01 Proud member of LTBBOI

Coyote and a euthanized ferret
    Jeeze that ferret was rank. It was a pet at one time so its glands were removed but after thawing in shipment and having that liquid in it was just as bad.

And then my coydog that the hack tanner sent back to me was rotted and green. That odor knocked me back when I opened the box.

2. Samson

Samson New Member

My two smelliest animals were a cross fox shipped fresh with the head, feet and tail still in that got lost in the mail. When I got it, 11 days had passed :mad:
    The 10 layers of plastic-wrap were also good at hiding what was inside the box. I had to unpack it outside and downwind, it smelled very bad and fell apart. I was very sorry to losing such a nice animal.
    The 2nd was a Dall sheep skull, wrapped in plastic for 3 weeks to rot of the horns. It smelled like rotten eggs and was yellow all over (the skull was not fleshed) I gagged the whole time i had to work o it. ::)

Greetings, Karin

3. Mark in IL

Mark in IL New Member

Coyotes do smell but they don't bother me - but badgers are pretty bad. I would have to agree with Randy though on the rotten deer head that's been lying around for a couple weeks then it is brought in for a Euro mount. Rotten brains has got to be the stinkiest nastiest stuff ever. Just plain gross.

4. Wheatfields

Wheatfields The woods are my home

The deer brains are pretty bad, I know the pudding stage your talking about !! When some plops out on something you know by just sight it smells like hell...

5. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Badgers . . . . hands down the worst to me with 20 plus years of skinning green critters from time to time. Will skin a coyote with one hand and eat a sandwich with the other any day.

6. Not related to smell.. but skinning opossum faces/heads is weird for me. Something about their grinning skulls and eyeballs that look almost cartoonish. For some reason they look like they could just jump up and break into song-and-dance or something; lol.

7. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

snapping turtle

8. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Wild "found dead" Adelie penguins that had probably died of starvation! They were much worse than any of the dead dogs or gut-shot geese that I've ever dealt with.
    Not rotten, but imagine the worst fishy smell in the world and then top it with extremely powerful ketones. The result was such a sharp chemical smell that it made my eyes burn - much worse than dicing onions.
    Nothing would get rid of it. It eventually faded to a less-malignant intensity, but I still have one of those birds over 30 years later and the right humidity will still bring back a hint of it.

9. Every now and then I get an Antelope in that will curl your hair. Particularly when you slip the horn caps off and that membrane is about half rotten.... <<<Find a happy place, find a happy place>>>

Oh, and the Mt. Lion that came in last winter with scours!!!!!! That was fun.

10. Coyotes don't bother me anymore, mostly...but every so often you get one (especially roadkill) that just reeks!
    But the worst would have to be a very, very rotten fisher that was found on a riverbank...ended up getting a nice skull out of it but ugh!!

11. IMNTM

IMNTM Southern Wildlife Art Taxidermy

I pride myself in having what I feel is a very high gag reflex. I had a guy bring me a deer for a European mount that had been semi sealed in a plastic garbage bag. It had been set outside of there cooler at deer cape & forgotten. It rotted in that bag for 10days before he showed up with it. Temps were running in the mid 70's during the day. My shop is about 75 yards behind my house & he pulled up to it. As I exited the house I was down wind of the truck & could smell it instantly. I gagged when he lifted it from the bed of his truck. I let him know politely that it was rotten in case he couldn't smell it himself & that there would be an additional charge for having to deal with it. Although I really wanted to turn it down, he agreed to my price. The plastic bag held back the true gut turning smell waiting for my sniffing pleasure. I tried everything I could think of short of a gas mask to keep from having to smell it. Never did loose the cookies but gagged until my stomach muscles & throat were sore for a day & a half. I didn't charge even half enough. My GOD it stank!

12. Nasty stuff!

I was macerating a turkey skull years back; had it in a rubbermaid-type container with holes. At any rate, my husband accidentally knocked it over outside and spilled the contents. He puked and and eaten eggs that morning.. and the chickens that we had out in the yard ate up his puke.

No lie.

It was nasty, but not enough to make me sick. I just got out the garden hose and diluted things; the skull was done I had found. Such a septic, sewery smell though.

13. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Nothing makes me puke if I have charged enough!

14. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

Gotta be those Yotes that everybody seems to want mounted

15. Sorry guys, until you experience the stomach contents of a twelve foot alligator you simply haven't lived!
    The alligators have their own fowl and nasty stench from hell.
    DC

16. Fogvalley

Fogvalley New Member

Like a nasty rattlesnake only 6000% bigger. Ha I believe it.

17. murty

murty New Member

Billy goats are one of the smelliest critters, even if a mount is years old, when it gets warm, out comes the smell. foxes aren't to flash on the olfactory nerves, old uncleaned skulls that need boiling will make you heave, and a big fish left in a plaster mould in the sun all day aint good when it is opened. I love being a taxidermist.

18. Brings to mind the smell that you get when a pet snake regurgitates its prey. One of my ball pythons did that years ago.. man alive.

19. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Maceration tank.

20. murph

murph Member

Did up a Black Hawaiian ram for a customer in the middle of summer and to get the horns off the cores,I tossed the skinned head in a couple of black plastic trash bags with about a gallon of water and tied it off. I then tossed it on the roof of the shop for about 3 weeks in the 85 to 90 degree heat.... Did an awesome job at releasing the horns but let me tell you, I went through a whole jar of vicks. THAT WAS THE DAMNDEST, WORSE ,RANK SMELL I HAVE EVER DELT WITH. Oh yea, asked the wife to retreive the head from the roof....That went over well too ....LOL

Lance