1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's the nastiest ,smelliest, make you gag animal to deal with ?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Wheatfields, Nov 21, 2013.

1. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

X2murph them ram and goat horns are pretty nasty!

2. My freezer went out, lost my antelope cape and didn't find it for a few days. ugh

The stop-rot didn't help ;)

3. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Bloated coyotes and wolves by far. Even the flies seem to back off. When I worked in Alaska back in the early 70's I used to have to flesh ribbon seals and thatis a smell I can still remember.

4. ncdeerhunter2002

ncdeerhunter2002 New Member

Coyotes, I cannot stand them,.

5. Male wolves!! Makes a coyote smell like roses lol. A close second is a rams horn cores that have sat for six months.

6. quest

quest Member

Utah
    When I was younger my brother had me gut out his buck that he had gut shot. The other would be a bear that had turn green.

7. intohunting

intohunting Member

AZ
    I'm with Randy on this one. I had a customer who wanted a whitetail euro mount and I was out of town. I asked if he had a way to keep it frozen solid until I returned a week later. He said yes. When he showed up, I could smell him coming from 15' away. The trash bag was also dripping a putrid odor. When I asked him about it, he replied that he had been placing a bag of ice on top of it for that week. When I went to remove the rotting flesh there were maggots crawling everywhere and the saying "that smell would gag a maggot" was a understatement. I came damn close to blowing chunks.

8. Gut shots are one thing. Decaying is another thing. Add them together by puncturing decaying guts in your house, and your housemates will love you forever!

9. minehill

minehill New Member

The smells bother me but not near as bad as hitting an infection in a deer and that dark lime green snot looking puss comes oozing out at ya! Makes me queezy everytime!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

10. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Try a woolly sheep hide that already stinks and is rotted. Kind of changed the nice pine Christmas smell I had going.

11. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

gut shot coyotes are bad, but I skinned out a cute little road kill mink when I first started out in taxidermy and did not know they had glands similar to skunks...I split that sucker and the odor was so strong and hit me so fast that I couldn't breathe for gagging so bad and had to run out of my shop...had to throw the thing out and it took a week to air out my shop.

12. Kodiak1

Kodiak1 New Member

I do a lot of work for my buddies private exotic hunting ranch I do about 40 exotic sheep and goats a month!... and I know many people who deal with horned animals (non antlered) know the procedures that have to be taken place to remove them! come by my steel container where I store all of the skulls in trash bags so they sweat the horns off... it is beyond gagging especially when you have 30 or 40 that's been sitting in there for a couple weeks

13. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Almost forgot my mother in law.

14. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

LOL!!!! Now that's funny!

15. murty

murty New Member

Yeah, sweating horns off horned game is nasty. Nowadays, I boil the skullcap and horns for an hour or so when they're still fresh, and with a few knocks of a wooden bat, they slide off fairly easy, and the horn core is given another boil, and most of the adhering membrane comes off easily, no fuss, no smell. Never had any problems with horns cracking, although they say that boiling removes the oils from the horns. A fifty fifty mix of turpentine and boiled linseed oil brings the horns back to life

16. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

I just tell my wife it all smells like money!!
    I had a guy bring in a elk head that we wanted just the skull cleaned. When he got it to the door, I knew I was in trouble. I had to nock the maggots off of it first thing. I ended up setting a table up by the opened garage door and set a box fan on the end of the table to help blow the stink away.

17. Icarus

Icarus Something Witty

1. Maceration bucket. Jesus wept fire a black bucket sitting out in the blissful 102F Missouri High Summer for two weeks full of all manner of delightful dead will about knock you on your ass when you go to strain it out without a mask. First time I ever gagged working with something.

2. 20lb nuisance trapped (summer coated unfortunately) raccoon that had been outside for two days in aforementioned summer weather. Could smell it through my heavy duty HEPA filtered mask.

3. FISH. Pox on fish! The fish lingers on everything forever and is just awful. I love to fish but I hate working with fish. And the slime. Ugh. Ew.

18. A specific deer head I had macerating for a while is so far the worst I've smelled. Someone stirred up the water and the smell hit me and I gagged like no tomorrow. I have a very strong stomach, I pride myself on it! Other macerating animals, no big deal. Rotted, bloated, domestic cat that's been sitting in 80 degree weather for a week that popped? Child's play compared to this deer (though that was pretty bad... there was no gagging on my end- my dad almost puked though). I dunno why it bothered me so much, but it was bad!

19. litefeather

litefeather New Member

I agree on the Euro mounts. Most of those have come in already rotten. I won't take those anymore if in that condition. Yotes I skin outside but I think a squirrel stinks more. A finger in a pus sack skinning will have me bending over.

20. duxdown

duxdown New Member

I think right now my wife would say a day old coyote carcass as it had her running for the door. She was such a lovely shade of green ;D