1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Trad buck

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by silent sniper, Nov 21, 2013.

1. silent sniper

silent sniper Member

Hey guys I thought some of you might like this, shot my 2nd buck ever and my first with traditional archery gear. I called it in and shot it on the ground in a leafy suit at 15 yards in an open field. This is the first year hunting with trad gear and I will never go back to my compound again. It is a completely different feeling all together to shoot a deer with nothing more than a fancy stick and a piece of string. I absolutely love it. I practiced all summer to get good enough for me to be comfortable enough to shoot at a deer. But all my work paid off. He is no monster but is my biggest buck yet and scores 134 1/4 inches. I'm thinking about mounting it up on a McKenzie HDU upright series. Anyone ever used these forms before? Thanks and enjoy, SS.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

Congrats!

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Congratulations. Foe my personal deer, McKenzie makes only one form: 6500.

4. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Wow , 6500 , Ohio taxidermy supply or Ben mears ; are all good forms for that deer . But i`am sure you will figure it out . ;D

5. That's truly an amazing accomplishment! Congrats and a heck of a buck too!

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Congratulations, next time use an Indian stone arrowhead, ;-) Nice buck, you should grin for weeks.

7. It's hard for me to tell from the pics... What kind of bow are you shooting? I have a couple black widow recurves and a longbow. I got a couple bears too. I like shooting trad but I'm not yet confident enough to hunt with one.

8. Wheatfields

Wheatfields The woods are my home

That's a sweet accomplishment

9. silent sniper

silent sniper Member

SoldierChick, it is a custom Cari-bow wolverine longbow made by Abe Penner out of Canada. It is 58" long and draws 59# at my 28" draw. I have killed 2 deer with it so far this year. I am going to put away for a few weeks and break out my 55# bear grizzly and see if I can fill my last tag with it. I have a fellow Trad hunter that absolutely loves his Black widows. I have shot some of them and they are definitely a nice shooting bow. I like the grip of the grizzly but the speed and silence of the reflex/deflex wolverine longbow is just unbeatable in my book. Keep practicing with yours and go try to go get a deer with it! I promise you will be glad you did, just as I was.

10. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Awesome congats on a great buck !!

11. Awesome! You should really take pride in that! Having shot for Hoyt competitively for several years Trad shooting has humbled me. My husband has really got into it and is good but its hard for me to let go of what I know and go instinctive. I want to but I find myself working like a machine instead of instinctively. I'd be more proud of a doe with a recurve than a good buck with a compound though. Truly realize what you've accomplished and enjoy it.

12. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Congratulations!! Welcome to the addiction of trad hunting!! Very nice buck taken with any method, much less trad gear.

13. Looks like a monster to me. Traditional is next for me in my evolution as a bow hunter. I started that way as a kid and hope to finish with a stick and string. Congratulations.

14. Matt

Matt Active Member

Congrats to you! That is a beautiful buck and you should be proud of it. Check out Bill Lancaster's new 8500 series, really nice looking form!!!

15. silverbuck

silverbuck New Member

I'm sorry but your wrong about not being a monster.The way you harvested this buck was a very very hard thing to do. Awesome awesome man,congrats !!!! 8)