1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Large whitetail cape pricing

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Aqhforever, Nov 24, 2013.

1. I have a ranch owner that wants a price on getting two mounts done. The deer have 200"+ antlers (sheds). I dont see many huge capes in the for sale section but i need to get him a price. What do capes for these huge deer run on average and where do most people get them?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

22 to 24 inch capes will do, you do not necessarily need whopper capes bigger than that in my opinion. There are plenty of capes this size floating around, and fresh this time of year.

Put a request in the wanted section, they will give you an idea of what they want for them.

3. Thanks T, thats the size i was thinking but didnt see much scanning through the for sale section.

4. verne

verne Well-Known Member

capes in that size range can be pricey ; but a decent price can be had. honesty in size is another factor . ;D

5. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

Big size`s like 24 inch or 25 inch are hard to come by and are very expensive but a 22 inch swell neck will look great on any size antlers. I do a lot of B&C whitetails that have 22 inch necks

6. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

scottdawg is absolutely right. Just because the deer had a big rack doesn't mean that it was a BIG deer. Just get something that isn't WAY out of proportion, just a mature deer will be good.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Yes, I concur, several sellers fudge on the size, or give you an overstretched raw size.

8. jswj1978

jswj1978 New Member

Is it a high fence deer? if so like the other guys said 22 is good but in Texas anyway I have mounted several 200 plus deer that don't have but a 18 to 20 inch neck even for a 5 year old deer they play with the genetics so much. ;D and make sure where you are getting your cape from Northern deer ,south Texas deer , north Texas deer etc there is a huge difference in hair length and everything in general.

9. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

You probably arent seeing to many because its the busy time of year for the midwest guys taking heads in. Come winter and early spring guys buying will be putting stuff on the market again in higher numbers. PM me. I've got quite a few extra capes in that 23-25" range I've bought this year and last year. All are green skun right now some fleshed some fleshed and turned. Was planning on tanning them here in Decemeber and January and then selling to make more on them but get ahold of me and let me know what you are looking for. Have different colors and a few medium to shorter haired ones that are good size too. No body really answere what they are going for and I haven't sold on on here in a long time so not sure what guys are getting but I believe most big capes tanned you are looking at 175-250+ and higher for short haired. Green your taking off turning time and tanning costs.

10. Get in touch with east cost joe on this site he has some great capes for sale and his tanned skins are great to work with

11. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Call T3 Kyle, he will set you up. I would also suggest he do the mounts too for bucks of that caliber..

12. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

Kelly these guys nailed it , look for 22" better price and it will make the rack look larger, once you get to 25" it can even take away from the largest racks. I did a couple 187" deer a year or so ago and one went on the biggest 6900 and the other on a 22" form and the smaller one looks more impressive by far. Again let me see what comes in to the processors today and I'll let ya know tomorrow , I'm bout to shut my phone off today DAMNIT , its my birthday lol. don't want to answer it today lol!

13. Matt

Matt Active Member

Just be sure to buy them from a reputable seller and they will be the size you need. I personally have been seeing too many in the forsale section stretched to the hilt to "make" a measurement, when anyone with some experience will tell you that they cannot be that big with the head all distorted.