1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Don't Ya Love it When...

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by dc taxidermy, Nov 24, 2013.

1. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

Don't you just love it when they don't have no idea how to skin them out...I think I am going to give Classes ext year on proper skinning...DC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bet that I have 10 with cut briskets.....DC

2. verne

verne Well-Known Member

I think the word shoulder mount is what gets them in trouble . They don`t think about the brisket and arm Pitts . :eek:

3. dc taxidermy

I get guys that have been hunting their whole life (30+ years) that have never skinned a deer. It just amazes me. Most that I get with cut briskets are from the hunt clubs...I think the same guy hunts all of them and volenteers to clean all the deer......DC

4. it is funny when guys hunted there whole life and cant cape a deer out i sent my 15 year old daughter out to show them how to do it that makes them look silly

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Guys, we're taxidermist's, we know what to do.......usually.....I remember 5 years ago I had a bad brain fart & when I hung it up to cut the excess cape I inadvertently went about 3" too short on the back......I literally could have punched myself.

Just educate them and move on and always remember the 'educator' can screw it up too :) LOL

6. duxdown

duxdown New Member

I literally had one brought in cut in half with a saws all. Beats being short I guess. Then on the other hand I have thought about charging extra at times.

7. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr Member

HAHA and i thought I was the only one that got them in that way! LOL I have had them where as they take the shoulders off and include them with the hide! Hooves all poking out of a garbage bag! LOL

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

It's been 20 years ago now, but I had a local guy shoot a buck in Maine. He wanted it mounted and hung it outside until it was frozen solid. The took a chainsaw and cut the neck off at the shoulders and brought it to me. He wanted a shoulder mount but I told him that since he cut it OFF at the shoulder, he'd have to either get another hide or get a very short shoulder as there wasn't enough skin to tack to the backboard.

9. Kydeerhunter03

Kydeerhunter03 New Member

Had two come in way worse than that from the same processor.....I drove down to the place and showed them the cape and nicely showed them what they were doing wrong lol Its a friend of mine, but I would hate for him to continue skinning capes for mounts too short and have a bunch of unhappy customers. So Im hoping I can magically fix the non existent brisket and armpits ;)

10. Richard B

Richard B Well-Known Member

2 years ago I had a guy bring in his sons first deer for a shoulder mount. It was cut off right behind the ears. Sold him a new cape, had a life size Aoudad in the shop so I used it to show him where to make the cuts on the next one. Last year his son shot a pronghorn and he brought it in for a shoulder mount, it was cut off 6" behind the ears. Sold him a new cape. Had a life size Axis in the shop so I used it to show him where to make the cuts. 2 days later he shot a pronghorn, brought it in for a shoulder mount. It was cut off 8" behind the ears. Sold him a new cape and showed him again where to make the cuts. Later in the season his son shot a whitetail. Wanted a shoulder mount. Lo and behold he finally got it right ;D
    Today he brought in 2 mule deer and a longhorn for shoulder mounts. Good news, all the cape is there ;D bad news, he split both of them up the throat to the jaw ::)
    Longhorn is to frozen to look for bad news on the cape. Good news, he brought the rest of the hide in another bag so all the parts should be in the shop ::)
    [​IMG]

11. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr Member

OMG! Same guy?

12. Richard B

Richard B Well-Known Member

And for the record, I am NOT complaining! I've been doing this stuff for over 30 years and could write a book on the things I've encountered along the way. Things happen that we have no control over despite our attempts to educate the public. I figure I can repair or replacement almost anything so I just SMH and laugh and roll with the punches.

13. dc taxidermy

This is by far not the worst but this is a good example Taken in yesterday....21 in cape, Fixable but agrivateing....DC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I put this on the back of my cards. I got it from a thread here someplace.
    Ralph
    [​IMG]

15. beaverman05

beaverman05 Member

lol He is a good returning customer at least

16. Matt

Matt Active Member

Hey Ralph, I would move that red line on the leg a lot further down!(LOL) That is where most of mine are cut short if they are short.

17. Great idea on the back of the card. I have had pretty good luck with most of the butchers in the area, but the occasional customer brings me in the head ache. Like the card, thanks for sharing.

18. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Matt next batch of cards I will do that. The back of the card also makes a great ice breaker. Lots of people ask me how to cape out a deer. All I do now is hand them a card.
    Ralph