1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Home Tanning Incident

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Kydeerhunter03, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Franklin

Franklin Guest

Caping, turn/flesh and salt is a taxidermy expense.

2. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

Unless you pay your tannery to do them.

3. Franklin

Franklin Guest

As long as it takes some to turn/flesh they would be better off sending that out too Donnie. I hear some say 2-3 hours, when a tanner charges $40.

Watch the pennies and the dollars take care of themselves.

4. Fawn

Fawn New Member

Jenna,

I recently had the exact same issue with a cape. I had two whitetail capes salted dry (hard), rehydrated and put them in the pickle - in the same container - one turned out great the other looked raw just as yours did. The hair was coming out in handfuls. Only thing different was the cape.

5. Sivko Fur, probably the closest reputable tannery to me. Wet tan, $45 plus lets say $15 to ship. Theres $60 right there. Then you have a 4-5 week turnaround time. So how much money have I lost waiting a month for a cape to get back? I could have done it in house in a few days and be mounting before that cape ever got back. It just doesn't make sense right now.

6. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Well..........

Well,...........

"So how much money have I lost waiting a month for a cape to get back?"

Absolutely NONE!

So, how much are you charging for a shoulder mount deer?

Kerby...

7. Steve Rotramel

Steve Rotramel We got some radical rebels in this county!

Wow! ha ha mea culpa and good work to the moderator. In the future I will humbly endeavor to keep all comments on the subject at hand.

Which is....

What the heck happened to Jenna's capes and Fawn's cape? I can tell you that I used to seriously have nightmares of brushing out huge beautiful elk hides, all perfectly tanned, that hair just started rolling out in buckets full as I panicked not knowing why. ha ha Tanner nightmares.

Interacting with dozens of people on this same subject we have usually been able to get to the source of the problem. I tanned a shipment once that included several caribou from the same customer.

All tanned fine except one, which behaved just like Jenna and Fawn described, except that when pinched, the skin almost felt like there was gas being expressed from inside. That tells me that the pH was way up in the skin and was reacting to the acid the way bases and acids react to each other. Foam.

Nothing you could see but I could feel it. ended up the hair jumped off the cape - total loss. At least I hadn't shaved it twice first haha. I have also tried many times to tan capes that the taxidermist had dusted with dry preservative and then later changed his mind and decided to get tanned. Never ever worked - not once.

So I still sort of suspect some sort of contamination.