1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wolf? or coyote?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by lorefuma, Nov 25, 2013.

1. lorefuma

lorefuma Member

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/q86/s720x720/1459073_10201609900988275_600204313_n.jpg

the guy have posted this tell that is a photo from Italy. For me this "wolf" looks a coyote, not really common here around... ;) But maybe I'm wrong.
    What do you think?

2. Looks coyote to me..

3. grumpa

grumpa Active Member

Coyote. Do you have either in Italy? And are you sure it was taken in Italy?

4. lorefuma

lorefuma Member

No coyote in Italy at all, ( well, some taxidermy and maybe in a zoo...). I dubt the photo is from Italy. Many wolf around here but I think is a internet photo post as personal. :)

5. I get an update on hunting in Hungry and Romania and some of their wolf look like coyotes and there is a small version looks like our western hemisphere coyote. So it may be one of those eatern European animals. its fur looks very short and thick.

http://www.centralmediaserver.com/cctvi_uclick/EnglishAndSpanishTextColumns/EarthWeek/Temp/ew080829k.html

http://retrieverman.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/romanian-wolf-hunter.jpg

Italian wolf

The Italian wolf, which occurs in the Italian Peninsula, Switzerland and Southern France, was classed by naturalist Giuseppe Altobello as a distinct subspecies in 1921, on account of its lower hind quarters,[11] and its "typical gray-brownish coat and a black stripe on the frontal part of the anterior legs." The classification was at first rejected, but in 2000 the publication of more detailed morphological and genetic comparisons suggested it should be re-instituted, as there are additional although more subtle distinguishing features. In one theory,[12] divergence of the Italian wolf began when the Apennines became a southern refugium for species displaced from Europe during the Last Glacial Maximum at about 18000 years BP.[13] Although now treated by MSW3 as synonymous to the Eurasian wolf,[9] certain scientists have called for it being classed as distinct in light of genetic differences. Pelt colour in European wolves ranges from white, cream, red, grey and black, sometimes with all colours combined. Wolves in central Europe tend to be more richly coloured than those in Northern Europe. Eastern European wolves tend to be shorter and more heavily built than Northern Russian ones.[4]

6. GySgt401

GySgt401 New Member

Coyote !

7. Canis lupus italicus.

8. kurjak

kurjak New Member

Wolf.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When I lived in southern Italy, we would spend a lot of time vacationing in the Abruzzie near the Italian Alps. We routinely saw bears, eagles, chamois, wolves and foxes but never saw coyotes. When we asked the locals if we where seeing wolves or coyotes they all would say " it'sa the wolfa. La lupa, niente coyote' e' Qua." Or "whata eez theese coyote". I tanned a lot of foxes hides there. We also ate a lot of starlings in the restaurants.

10. Looks like a coyote to me too, but then I was watching a Nat Geo show where they were talking about some sort of jackal that was showing up in Europe and at first glance, I thought that was a coyote too. Pretty good sized carcass it is feeding on!

11. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

no dark marking down legs it's a European wolf if pic was taken there

http://www.photoanswers.co.uk/Gallery/Detail/?msItemId=97528

You won't GET the real dark gold hair behind the ears in a North American wolf, just coyotes , in the euro wolf you do..

Know just getting to know your canines better... ;D

Not as big as our wolves either 60lb- 80lbs

euro wolves are sharper in the face like a coyote and not like our wolves that are deeper and wider...This is a NICE pic looks like coyotes but are Euro wolves.
    But will have a higher forehead than yotes have.

12. DL

DL Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

13. Rapture

Rapture New Member

You can tell by the proportions of the skull, ears, body, that this is a wolf.

14. ysb123

ysb123 Member

Wolf, going by head features, jmo