1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Coyote tail hair slippage!!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by OutDoorsmen94, Nov 27, 2013.

1. OutDoorsmen94

OutDoorsmen94 New Member

PA
    Hey everyone..I'm new to this site and idk if there is a post already with this question? I'm pickleing a coyote hide for a full mount and after the three days I went to pull it out to neutralize it and the tail fur is loose and comes out when pulled on? All of the other fur is fine but the tail fur. I was wonder if this fur just looses up in the pickle and will stiffen back up or if the hide is ruined? Thanks for your input!

2. Did you split the tail all the way to the tip and salt. Don't pull the hair!

3. OutDoorsmen94

OutDoorsmen94 New Member

PA
    That's my problem, I tried to work salt down the best I could. Next time I'll know to split the tail! Ig ill just have to shoot another one, won't bother me none ha. Thanks for the info!!

4. Even if you just split the last two inches you can have peace of mind that it is salted.

5. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Well you can split the tail just a little on the end then pack with salt. Then pull a small section of cotton rope through the tail and set in the pickle this will wick all the way through if your im doubt.
    Ok now on to the fix. Stop pulling. You might tighten the epidermis up buy soaking good with dentured alcohol. Its been done before. ;D

6. OutDoorsmen94

OutDoorsmen94 New Member

PA
    Thanks for your guys input. I didn't want to spend money on a form then have the hair fall out so I went with just a tanned hide to hang. I will try it again the correct way.

7. Mark in IL

Mark in IL New Member

Hi OutDoorsmen - On thing also to keep in mind that a slipping tail does not mean all is lost. You can get another tail and pickle/tan it and then when you mount your coyote you can slip the replacement tail on. Move it up to the coyote body and let it dry. It's not too hard to do and works good for most average colored coyotes.