1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermist Wrecked my Hide!! Whats a value of a deer hide??

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by IceHole69, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

$250 will get you a good sized tanned skin. But the judge will probably not know his/her prices, so go $350

2. IceHole69

IceHole69 New Member

Thank you very much Low T!!!!!! plus I get to add court costs and any other costs I that come up along the way

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I suspect you will win,,, and get nothing for it, he won't pay.

4. It is hunting season. Go to your local butcher and tell them you want to buy a cape. I usually get to pic the cape from about 12 hanging deer, all in line waiting to be butchered. They may charge a little more to take the hide off the skull, but regardless, you can pick our a nice cape this time of year (atleast in upstate ny) and take it straight to a pre determined and highly recommended taxidermist. Then you get the mount you have been waiting for and the family issue becomes a thing of the past.

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I've seen that before several times...you won, now stand in line! You'll be standing there til Hell freezes over.

6. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Follow Low Ts advise exactly, forgive him, forget him and let it go. Or continue the grief and stress and be as bad as the taxidermist family member you now despise.

7. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

To replace cape your looking at prices up to $250.00 but your cape is worth what ever it is to you. In court of law there is sentimental value. You can also add time and money spent to harvest animal.

But here it is... Ok so you win? Which is questionable. What's next? He don't pay! After years his wages possibly get garnished! Which don't forget he is self employed, so good luck.
    I'm sorry this happened but your pissing towards a thunderstorm and your about to get wet!

Now for the winning part, first off is he an actual studio? Is he licensed? Did you sign contract?
    Or is everything word of mouth? There would be a lot to prove on your side that he can just flip right around. You've already said things on here he can use against you such as "I didn't have a place to hang it so 4-5 years was ok" that states in itself that tree was no contract and you didn't mind the wait.

Good luck please listen to this and count it as a loss. Your better using the money to print flyers and put them on ever street corner, if bashing him is what you want.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

8. One other thing that pops up, is hunter have recommended other taxidermist.

I can show you page after page where hunters recommend taxidermist, many of these taxidermist are not worth their, they lack skill and training. But the fact remains hunters and fishermen will recommend a beginner or an taxidermist thats been in the business for 20 years because they like the guy/gal and yet their work is a 50% solution it would not stack up against the better taxidermist.

Look at some of the websites and you will see a lot of bad work, you will also see some excellent work http://www.taxidermy.net/taxidermists/tlinks.html

You should post a pic of the cape.

I know taxidermist that will not sew up a bullet hole and sell you a new cape, others take the rejects and turn out a master piece.

9. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

I would let it go buy a new cape. Your new taxi should be able to get one if not go find another taxi learn from this and move forward!!! Good luck

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

To answer your question, 25 to 120 here where I live, depending on size, color/ markings, etc.

11. TexasTaxi

TexasTaxi Member

I assume you're taking him to small claims court?

If he is indeed, as bad as you say, do you really think he's going to pay you ... even if you do win?

I think your money would be better spent finding a replacement cape and a real taxidermist.

12. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Here in Ohio the value of game is what the STATE DNR says it is. In other words they have a pre-determined value on game that they use in order to set fines for poaching and matters like yours. The value is NOT very high...last I knew like $45 for a deer. That is what you would get HERE. A sympathetic judge might give you more...BUT more likely he will think this is frivolous and give you the bare minimum if anything. Unless you are out CA$H expect nothing.

Not to say you were not wronged but this is about as equal to a guy borrowing a shovel and never bringing it back in the eyes of the law.

13. trky

trky New Member

You were looking for cheap and you got it. Three years is a long time out for starters.You should have tracked him down then and not waited 5 extra years. Lesson learned. Move on.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

He isn't even here anymore, so you can keep your 2 cents guys.