1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wet tanning any advice?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by alaskanash, Jun 8, 2007.

1. alaskanash

alaskanash New Member

I've been working with hides for 12 yeas now and and have a few people interested in a wet tan, but the meathod thati was taught just doesnt seem riight....after completeing the tanning process we would skip the drying step and go straight to the tumbler with sawdust, but this leavs the end product dirty and unprofessional looking, so then if you don't tumble (say its a ls bear) how do you get a clean soft fur? I would appreciate any help, just trying to put out a better product.Thanks

2. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

you arent tumbling lone enough - let hang for a couple of hours and then go into tumbler - i use this method 100% of time - no problemo

3. JAT625

JAT625 New Member

Question: What is wet tanning...exactly?

4. Try this: Don't skip the the dry step. Skip the sawdust. After drying your bears, rehydrate in salt water and degreaser to cut the oil. Let it sit for about and hour to an hour and a half in the solution then remove, comb out the bears, drain and freeze. The taxidermist is going to wash the bear when they get it and then dry them on the form.

The sawdust is only dirtying up your process plus you are risking epidermis loss around eyes and face in the drums.

Hope this helps.

5. JAT625
    Wet tanning is nothing more than leaving a tanned hide wet instead of allowing it to dry, wet tanning is for skins that are to be mounted. It skips the rehydration process of a dry tanned cape or skin.