1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Has anyone ever thawed the head, caped, then froze again.?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by WildArt2013, Nov 28, 2013.

1. WildArt2013

WildArt2013 New Member

Just wondering what anyone's opinion was

2. WildArt2013

WildArt2013 New Member

Or if this is a safe practice. Anyone have any good tips for thawing?

3. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Yep but the next time you thaw you better salt,pickle and tan. Not saying it cant be re frozen but I wouldn't push it personally.

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I do it all the time. Many customer deer come in frozen. I hang them by the antlers so the skin will unfold as it thaws. I cape them out, rough flesh, then fold them back up and refreeze. My cape man picks up the frozen capes in batches of 10, thaws 5 at a time, fleshes, then refreezes them. I thaw and mount 3 at a time. I have not lost cape due to slippage in ages.

5. WildArt2013

WildArt2013 New Member

Thanks guys I'm a fricken worry wart!

6. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Occasionally, but I try to get right to salting after caping.

7. Franklin

Franklin Guest

Every time you freeze/thaw you are 1 step closer to bacteria and slip. Joey may be the exception but generally it`s a risky method. Thaw, do your work and get into the salt.

Many think just because you shut the freezer door your safe. It still takes another hour or so to refreeze the cape. If your the kind that likes to roll up a cape, add another hour or 2 to freeze the center. I don`t need to tell you how long the thawing process takes, now add all this time in with your turning and fleshing. Not something I would make a habit out of.

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Franklin, the thing that separates me from a lot of the crowd is my process. After caping a deer, I pressure wash the cape, re-invert, and wash the hair side. The pressure washer removes blood, soil and feces from the hair. When I freeze it the first time, it's clean as a whistle.

9. Mason

Mason Active Member

We do it all the time. As Joey says. A lot of customers bring them in froze. We skin them as soon as we can once thawed, and rough flesh. Then STOP ROT liberally! Lay them flat opened up in the freezer on a sheet of cardboard to cool for a bit, THEN fold them up and freeze for shipping.

10. duxdown

duxdown New Member

I get customers bringing them in from the processor frozen, so I thaw and skin and promptly refreeze as most times I don't have time to turn and flesh and salt that particular day. And as most we need all the freezer space we can get. Ideal humm well know but so far so good. The next time it gets thawed it gets turned, fleshed,salted and into the pickle the next day.