1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I'm still a greenhorn at tanning and have a few questions

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by WildArt2013, Nov 28, 2013.

1. WildArt2013

WildArt2013 New Member

I have been tanning my own hides for a couple seasons now and I have a few questions as to whether or not I might be goofing up. Guys correct me if I'm wrong (if you will thanks). When I get my hides out of the pickle I neutralize them, I should see (a chemical reaction) if the acid penetrated the hide, correct? I use Baking soda ounce per gallon. My hides come out white but some spots are gray and discolored. Is this normal? Ive even saw some green juice (sorry) coming out around the eye whiskers when I reflesh and thin. This cant be normal can it? And not to mention the hair loss I have while its in and out of the pickle. no slippage but hair loss. Those are my questions involving pickling....
    These are my questions regarding tanning (brush on tanz).
    Ive used Mckenzie Tan for some time now and I have produced some quality soft white leather throws for my couch and armchairs. It tanned them well, but I let them completely air dry once tanned and then worked them to soften them up. Since Ive used it on deer capes I guess I cant really see whether or not the tan has penetrated because I have to put the hide on while it is still damp. What I'm getting at is it says to freeze the skin after leaving it to the air for 6 hrs. Do I wash the excess off before freezing? With what? or is it suppose to dry to this leather looking hide before it is mounted. I see some people mount hides that seem completely dry and leather like easily workable, did they tumble them to get them like that? I just don't know if the flesh side of my cape should still be damp when I am mounting. Because if its completely dry I cant work with it. Yes I know there are tutorials on tanning but if anyone understands my issue I appreciate any response, even the (you need to find a different hobby) ones ;)

2. WildArt2013

WildArt2013 New Member

Alrighty then ;D

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Question, are you shaving the hides/capes after pickling? Dark areas could be thick areas or fat still on flesh side, needs more shaving and back in pickle. See a reaction, No, maybe a little fogging in the neut, bath. Hair loss, slight, mostly from edges of hide, but not always. Tan, 6 hrs then freeze or mount. Wash with water before mounting, some will use a shampoo, I use only tap water for a rinse 10-20 seconds, then spin in washer, then mount. You can tumble, towel dry or washer spin, cape needs to be damp, not dripping wet to mount, dry, your not mounting anything. Hope this helps.

4. WildArt2013

WildArt2013 New Member

Thanks for the info. There's not a lot of input on brush on tans that I could find. I've been doing what I should be doing then! Thanks again!