1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Thank gawd for insurance!!!! (UPDATED!)

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by michael p., Nov 30, 2013.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Had a pretty close call today with a worker. I was at a ranch I do work for and my employee (who was al

2. michael p.

Re: Thank gawd for insurance!!!!

Sorry, I typed out the whole incident and my iPhone decided to only put a sentence of it in there. Gonna cook supper & then I'll explain :)

3. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Suppers taking a long time.... you have my interest... sooooo what happened?

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I think he meant supbrunch. ;D

5. michael p.

Sorry guys, fell out after eating last night and was helping cook for a local charity this morning. I gotta go to the studio for a few hours and alter some forms. I promise i'll update tonight, was pretty scary & serious!

6. Twisted.

Twisted. Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

I can't take much more suspense.

7. noid

noid Member

Hopefully one day we'll here the rest of the story

8. michael p.

Sorry so long!!! LOL I do sppoligize, I've just been running in circles!

Anyways, I typed out the whole story the other day and the iPhone didn't want to use it so we'll try again :)

I was at a clients ranch skinning and picking up animals & I called to check in. He had been outside shampooing a LS bear we mounted last week. He picked up the phone & then a heard a loud CRASH and then nothing but moaning. I called my neighbor who went to check on him and he found him lying on the floor in pain. He had slipped with his wet feet and impaled his hip on the front 2 brow tines & also sufferd a foot long gash on his back.

He's going to be fine after a little healing, but I am just glad as hell that I am insured because that ER bill isn't gong to be cheap!!

It also makes me aggravated. Actually aggravated as hell!!!! I go to shows and all you here about is 50 cent ribbons. Associations need to step up and start preaching to taxidermists that eyes and a form is not their only expense, there also is a responsibility to be held when running a business.

I have the smart asses who say I can't afford to charge $600 for a deer head or $365 for a duck.... BS! You can't afford not to! There are a lot of taxidermists who could not afford to recover from this accident & it would ruin their credit, business or both! All I had to worry about was waking up m insurance agent too early this morning :)

Thank gawd for insurance!!
    Back
    [​IMG]

Hip
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Elk skull :(
    [​IMG]

9. Glad to hear he is OK. Looks like it hurt like hell though.

10. smittys llc

smittys llc New Member

Keep the racks off the floor!I watched a 6 year old kid years ago trip and land on a shed and drove it through his cheek!!!

11. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I hope.........

I hope it doesn't get infected!

Kerby...

12. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

Had that happen to me end of last year. Fell on an Elk rack and stuck a brow into my thigh. Ended up with a 1 1/2" hole in my thigh and 5 stitches. Ended up with a couple gouges and bruises on my hip and leg.

Racks get hung up or put tines down now in my shop.

[​IMG]

13. dhart

dhart Active Member

Dang, makes me nervous just looking at it. I am on Warfarin, so, something like that could be fatal for me.

14. michael p.

Well I called insurance agent at 1:00 PM & told her to STOP the claim. Seems that cash talks & bull chit walks! I can pay around $1500 cash & it's done, doctor & hospital ER bill or claim 3k on my insurance. I'm going cash, screw a claim!

Pitiful!

15. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    What happens if it gets infected?? Could you still claim the additional care if need be?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

16. michael p.

]

Of course, it's documented. What pissed me off Is that it's 50% less if you pay cash over filing an insurance claim!
    I figured it would be $4-4,500, turns out that its a little over 3k. Went to the hospital at noon & got a good lesson. No insurance claim, 30% discount, pay now and it's 50% with a waiver that any bills that come after are waived since they cannot stop generated bils from different departments. Seems the hospital needs capital instead of bills waiting to get paid. I imagine that the other 50% would be paid in overhead anyways (imagine that, looking at cost of running a business)

Gonna deal with the doctor (seperate bill) tomorrow & was told expect the same. No insurance claim, 30% discount, pay right there, 20% more. I'm getting a good education & am feeling good about my rates not going up because of a claim..... it also shows how ducked up everything is going to be once ran through a beurocratic bull$hit like Obama care.

17. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Pretty much standard procedure these days. They bill the insurance company, but the insurance pays them what they want to, most likely about what you paid cash. The doc has to eat the rest. Health care is a tough profession these days. Barry care will take care of it. lol

18. Frick, why have insurance then. I hope your deductible wasn't $500 and you paid $1500 plus what ever the doctor is.
    If you filed a claim and they raised my premium after 1 incident, I would be pissed.
    Heres one for you, I have to take pills daily,, last time I tried to run my prescription through insurance,
    it was gonna cost me $98 for the monthly refill. I said forget it, I can get it cheaper online.
    Pharmacist said, hang on, lets see what cash sale would cost, $18

19. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

Dave, we had that same issue awhile back.

20. tviper56

tviper56 Active Member

Great post Michael. Hope it continues to work out in the direction it is heading. No real business can afford to go without insurance. I also agree with charging for what we do. I raised my prices again this year and am already ahead on just about everything compared to where I was this time last year. Hope you man continues to heal. He is a blessed man as this could have been disasterous. Tim