1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

november numbers

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by gab, Dec 1, 2013.

1. gab

gab Active Member

got in 28 less heads.17% down.down 5% for the year.euros are heavy.
    dollars are about the same.last time I had a short November I had a strong December.heres hoping.

2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

November ended great for me! Up on everything!

3. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

I'm up on everything too...DC

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Up on everything except bear rugs. Some things like euros are way up.

5. The Chief of enforcement and I had a little talk about the reported numbers of bear kills. After a bit of research Col.H got back to me, seems many of the bear hunters dont deer hunt or kill deer something like 75%. Maybe bunny huggers stacking the books to get the bear season closed as it closed when the allotment number are reached. without a set date of closing or weekly alotment not personnel physically seeing the bear, its a sure bet!

6. dblank65

dblank65 Member

Down big time in WI :(

7. we are up for November. Started with a bang but ended a bit on the quiet side. Hoping for an even stronger December. Having high hopes with the cold fronts coming in starting next weekend. That should get them to the feeders.

8. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I'm up so far in everything except bears and CA made bear hunting with hounds illegal this year so I expected that.

9. Birds only as well but like KMA said, good hunting so far this year in North Texas. This is only my second year in and business is up for me tremendously, I've almost met in one month the total number of birds I got in last year. Almost equal parts return clients and new clients, feels good to have repeat customers!

10. tviper56

tviper56 Active Member

Up on everything so far.

11. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

best year ever for me.

12. Alive Again

Alive Again New Member

Way down. Super cold and windy opening weekend in Wisconsin put a lot of asses on barstools by 9:00 a.m. on the opener. Big buck kill way down in my area. :(

13. boarhunter67

Dang I just had to go out and buy a third chest freezer. I have a skinner who has been coming in and skinning out 3-5 animals every weekend for the last 3 months, but I finally got too much in for him to keep up and I don't have time to stop and skin. I have one freezer that's pretty small and another that's big. The plan is to just have two big ones and keep the small as a back up just in case. It's a problem I didn't think I'd have since I increased my prices so much over last year. Deer are about the same, but the number of pigs and bobcat are way up. I'm only part time and already have over 30 animals since Sept.

14. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Slow, slow, slow!! Getting a lot of work in but want the 30 heads on the floor! LOL Been great, but S. Texas SSSLLLOOOWWW!!!!

Piggy, if you'd become a Conservative Taxidermist in Texas it would boost your numbers by 50%. Aren't too many hunters around here who want to hear an Obama support speech.

15. It has been very slow here.. I do not have to worry about freezer space this year... On the bright side, I have had plenty of time to sit in my tree...

16. My out of state hunters coming in from hunts with shoulder mounts are the same, my in state intake so far is way way down on shoulder and euro's. Bobcats & fox I've already taken in more in 2 months than I do all year.

17. ROFLOL oh Michael you are so funny. For our clients we are REPUBLICANS all the way, at least that's what they all believe. I know how to run my business profitably. Nobody knows but you and I so mums the word. ::) :p

18. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

Seasons like this one make me glad I kept my full time job! Haven't taken in 1/2 the amount from last year, and the majority I have taken has been the same 2 people. Deer have literally vanished around here! I haven't seen a live deer in weeks (in blind or driving down the road). Still not touching corn or food plots, and acorns are still hanging on and not rotting yet. Tons of really nice bucks out there this year but not coming out. It took me 2 months of hunting every day to finally get the buck I was after. Had to get off of food sources and hunt trails with cameras scattered everywhere to pattern them. Tough year!

19. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

That's tough Bobby. Hope after this freeze it picks up for you.

This is my best year, but I've only been taking in heads for 3 years. But I credit my increase to a name change. I have been doing Europeans for around 15 years and called my business Riverbend Antler Works, once I started taking in taxidermy work, I left the name the same. Most all my work the first 2 years were friends, and friends of friends. I heard a lot of questions around the community of people asking what Riverbend Antler Works (after seeing it on baseball uniforms I had sponsored and such). So I changed The name to Collier's Taxidermy this summer and I am getting calls, and being stopped around the community now by people saying they had no idea I did taxidermy. So, while its a good year, I don't want it to grow too fast. Of the taxidermists I know about within 30 miles or so, I'm $25.00 to $75.00 higher on deer, I'm at $500.00, but will go up again if it gets much busier.

20. boarhunter67

Good luck with that Donnie. Last year I was at $450 for deer; this year I went up to $600. All my prices are similar. I am at $900 for badger and got 3 in the last couple months. My main reason for raising prices was also to slow down what I took in, but it hasn't helped a bit. At least when I think about all the sewing I have to do on a bobcat or fox I can think about the $950 I'm getting for it. It kind of makes me feel better.