1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Don Frank Replica Baitfish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Ozwalt, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

I have a customer who wants a small rainbow trout added to a large mount as a baitfish. I told him I doubted that would be easy to find -- I generally stick with freeze-dried baitfish and don't know anyone who does little trout. I do see that Don Frank has replica trout baitfish out, though. The pics in the catalog actually look pretty decent, but I've never been impressed with the fake baitfish I'd tried in the past. Anyone given his trout a try? Would like a personal testimonial, if possible. Thx.

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

His............

I have used his shad .... and they are awesome!

:)

Kerby...

3. I don't care for them, bought a couple of his fish, but never used them.

4. I use Dons fish all the time in my fish mounts . My customers love them and the price is right .

5. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Ozwalt, The rainbow has only been in the catalogs for about a month. I added four new items this year and I think the trout will be real popular once people see it. It was molded off a fish that had not been dead 15 min. so the detail is outstanding.
    Most of my baitfish are directional and just painted on the show side however the new trout and mullet are painted on both sides. I also added two shrimp. The side fins on the fish are painted but not attached because of shipping concerns. The fin pockets are there so it's a simple super glue operation without any grinding required. The shrimp have long feelers included but are not attached for the same reason.
    I went back to my inventory and grabbed four samples of packaged baitfish when I read this post. They are random inventory. They are not select pieces for photo purposes.

Attached Files:

6. dougp

dougp Active Member

Ozwalt.....I've used Don's baitfish and think they work very well in scenes. I would not hesitate to recommend them to your client.

DougP

7. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

Thanks so much for the quick replies everyone, and thanks for the pic Don.

8. Where do you get these rascals - directly from you ?

Need shad - what sizes do you have available ?

Can I get totally unpainted ?

Thank you sir.

RS

9. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Here is a pic of the other species. There are also replica crayfish available. The fish are available painted or unpainted thru most suppliers, Mckenzie, Matuska, Research etc. I generally don't sell direct unless someone is needing something different or a special order.
    The shad is available in just one size right now which is 6.25". Rt or left painted, or unpainted.

Attached Files:

10. Thx

11. Ron Kelly

Ron Kelly Active Member

I love them, my customers love them. Crawfish also. I will never use another freezedried fish.

12. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

Need some smaller shad :p

13. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

havent posted anything on here for a very long time, however I seen this post , and figured I would show you an example of Don's baitfish trout .

I got this trout from Don, and painted it up like a juvi rainbow. Very nice to work with, and pedestal quality. All the products I have used from him are top notch.

Jimmy

Attached Files:

14. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

Great job Jimmy!! I use them also and thinking of doing up a.nice shadowbox with examples of each. They sell themselves and clients do love them.

15. Don's replica Bluegill in one of my personal rec-room mounts. Very happy with it !!

[​IMG]

16. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

Hello everyone,

I just thought i would post some pictures of some of the rainbow baitfish replicas that Don offers through vendors like McKenzie. I really like them, and they look fantastic. Really pretty amazing detail. On the trout anyway, the pectoral fins come seperate and are clear. They accept paint very easily, and thanks to communicating with Mr. Frank, i got a color i was satisfied with. If someone else might want the color i achieved on them, i mixed gray with pink and then added either a little more red, or a little more white, depending on the way the colors were shifting. These are really great. And Mr. Frank was very helpful to a beginner like myself.

Chris

Attached Files:

17. Trapper2016

And a few others.

Attached Files:

18. Trapper2016

And a few more. Hope these help others

Attached Files:

19. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Love your rainbow but I would have painted the dark markings with an airbrush vs. the sharpie. Just my opinion of course.

I've used Don's baitfish too and love them.

20. Trapper2016

Hey Cecil,
    That was actually how they came. The only thing i had to do was paint the 2 pectoral fins a light pink color. For what they are though, they are really cool. I am probably going to buy a couple bluegill soon. Its amazing how something so small can add alot to a mount. And for the price, they are hard to beat.