1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Garment Tanning?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by hybrid, Jun 8, 2007.

1. hybrid

hybrid New Member

Hey guys! Total newb here but here goes.

Just recently started hunting and while Im not big on mounts (my first hunt ever was oryx and I gave the mount away) I do want to be able to utilize as much as I can from the animals I hunt.

In anycase Ive decided I will start practicing my rifle swing skills (I had to shoot off hand at a pretty fast and really tough animal!!!) by getting a fur bearer license and hunting rabbit (jack and cotton tail)

Ive got a half way decent idea of how to get the animal skinned (thanks to the right and proper introduction with the oryx) and I understand that they are incredibly thin skinned (the rabbits of course) but Im sure with some patience and a little bit of luck I can skin and salt some skins on my first outing.

BACK TO MY ORIGINAL THOUGHT! haha

To me it seems the best way for me to justify killing them is to make garment quality tans out of the hides. Am I gonna wear it? Probably not but hey if Davey Crocket looks come back Ill be ahead of the game!

Can anyone introduce me to good books and good techniques to starting this quest? Id like to learn this and buckskinning (fur off soft leather?) and not have tons of heart aches in the process!

Thanks guys!

2. freddy d

freddy d New Member

Animal brains work great and there are some good books on brain tannig and some info on line

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You'll need to send them out to have them professonally done if you want "garment" quality. Only a special machine can "split" a hide to garment thickness. It actually shaves the hide down so that a consistent thickness is maintained throughout. W.B. Place in Wisconsin does them. There are a few other places as well, but make sure you request GARMENT quality.

4. hybrid

hybrid New Member

Indians and other people didnt send them out did they?

Im not trying to make 10K dollar fur coats but I would like to be able to make a fur/buckskin jacket or something. I dunno like a primitive skill or something.

The way I see it, if I can tan the hide with the fur on, I can put the fur "in" and have a soft brushed leather outside that I stitch together all the pelts.

Fur inside is the correct way I presume.........it would hold all the body heat in.

does that make sense to you guys? Making "garments" out of pelts????

Im sorry if garment quality meant designer fur............

5. George

Well, actually the Indians scraped the hides rather thin, but I don't imagine a gasoline ass has that much patience. You could try like the caveman and simply just drape yourself in raw hides until the skin rotted and the hair fell out. I'm assuming this is going to assault your tender feelings but this is a TAXIDERMY website. We tan only as part of our job and many of us rely on reliable professionals in the TANNING field to do our work. I assure you, you don't want to make a garment, crude or otherwise, from a hide we use for mounting. There IS a difference.

6. Phillip

Phillip New Member

Why not get a Rittel's EZ-100 tanning kit from a supplier and experiment?

7. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

hybrid i have to agree with george - why not do it right to start with - brain tanning is a STUPID idea - why not do it right (the easiest and the best result from the start)

8. hybrid

hybrid New Member

Whats awesome right here is the total and complete lack of imagination here. I liken you to a bigot of all people. I find it strangely odd that someone interested in Taxidermy is going to belittle anyone interested in using animal hides.

You do realize that not EVERYONE wants to use animal pelts as wall coverings right?

Furthermore, if I wanted to brain tan something Id brain tan it. What I asked about was a place to gather information on making useable pelts.

I mean how awesome it it that the pioneers of this country could take an animal that they killed and utilize the majority of it? Im sure they all lugged around heads for mounting over some foam cores.

If you dont have any helpfull ideas...........why bother posting? Id much rather show up to check my thread and find nothing instead of wasting my time with boring dribble about why I should send it out to some big company.

9. rbs

rbs New Member

Hi,
    I'v been brain tanning for about 6 years now. I know a lot of people think it isn't the "real" way, I think it makes great leather for clothing if you don't mind the smoke smell. I have done about 15 furs and 60 some deer. I wouldn't recommend braintanning furs, because it is a ton of work, but deer work great for hair off tanning. Go to braintan.com for more info and if you have any questions you can email me.
    Ryan

10. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Could you elaborate on that statement? Perhaps tell us why it is ....STUDPID...whatever that is...

11. cyclone

You can edit your original message, but you can't edit mine...and anyone with half a brain can see when you edited it.

So...do we care to elaborate on your brain tanning statement?

12. msbraintan

msbraintan New Member

Hybrid,

I might be able to help ya.. seems like you wish to be honorable with the skins.

[email protected]

13. msbraintan

msbraintan New Member

Hybrid

Sounds like you're already ahead of the game. I wouldn't worry about the clean up. Wish I'd known 4 years ago. So maybe you will learn why braintanning is a stupid idea.. good luck. Consider yourself lucky already.

Paulette

14. Im not trying to get into the middle of a fight here but if u are planning on making a garmet out of rabbit skins ..well wether a commercial tan or ur own u might want to pick a different critter to get started with. Maybe something with a thicker hide like a coon. Just my two cents i think with a rabbit u will have more headaches than you want.

15. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

To those who requested this be pulled due to Georges "foul language that offended you" (youve got to be kidding!) guess what? Thats just a very good answer, in Georges own words and way. Sorry, not much to change there.

16. hybrid

hybrid New Member

I didnt see anyone asking for it to be pulled.

What I did see is a grumpy @$$ed old man who wanted to split hairs and tell me that Im dumb for wanting to do what I want to do.

Tanning is tanning is tanning. If the Taxidermy mods dont want people askin how to make fur on skins for clothing or other projects they can pull it down.

Looks to me like you want to add your 2¢ to a conversation without anything to offer.

People like you and him are the reason the internet is scoffed at when it comes to citing information.

Seeing as this is my thread, unless you have something usefull to say..........why dont you go play in other areas.

17. George

Hybrid, I know you're incapalble of understanding little things as you're so smart to begin with, but I never gave you a "smart" answer, I gave you a correct answer. If you think all tanning is the same, then you really do have a mental deficiency. The chrome tans, vegetable tans, acid tans and alum tans all differ significantly and will determine the extended life of the leather. As I TRIED to explain, true GARMENT TANS will include the hide being "split" to insure consistent stretch. And since you're so smart, maybe you'll notice that this is a TAXIDERMY SITE which has a Tanning Category. Taxidermists use a unique set of tans in their work when compared to garment tanning.

And I don't know what language I used that might offend some of your tender emotions, but I'd like for you to point them out so I can be sure to reuse them later.

18. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Hybrid, did it ever occur to you that perhaps I meant someone else, or that I know something you do not? Before you try to reprimand me, note that, as a moderator, I recieve all the requests sent via email by ANY forum member who asks for direction or posts deleted, and I recieved one about Georges so-called foul language, and how it offended them...Now, it looks to me like every statement in your last post fits you much better then me. Yes, I accept your apology in advance.

19. msbraintan

msbraintan New Member

For the record let it be noted that it wasn't me that bitched. I think everyone is entitled to their opinion and well the mod and George here should probably tell all the ignorant asses here just what is wrong with the 'braintan' for shirts, jackets, leggin's and so forth? I see a lot of clothing on plainsindian sites course they're probably not being used at all, but I didn't think it was because they'd fall apart after a couple hundred years. Don't know how much those items are handled but I don't recall ever reading that the leather is weak and or falling apart. I do recall coming on here myself years ago now and having brought with me the opinion that braintan was better than all the other leathers..but then I realized thanks to George I guess, that braintan was just another leather.. now just what is 'stupid'?- braintan or the way braintan's made or braintanners in general.. LOL.. or all of the above or what?
    I really don't care if the leather that I've managed to preserve doesn't last several lifetimes as I probably don't have a whole lot of time left in this one! Heck I'd just as soon pass on how to tan deerskins using water oil and smoke.. I'm personally NOT in the habit of using lye and neutralizing so yeah I wouldn't mind having you folks say what's up with the braintan. PS.. I'm not fond of rabbit hair myself since I do recall the days when rabbit skins shed the hair that was most intolerable in your nose. .. not that I've sniffed the jackets but surely the hairs would fly wherever and if you happened to be breathing around rabbit fur lookout. do all rabbits shed their fur when tanned? it that a matter of how their tanned etc? or breed?

20. cyclone

Twern't me! :'(

Actually, George never did call the method stupid in what I read! It was someone else who was politely invited to elaborate on their statement....called out on the carpet so to speak.. but they ran back under the porch. ;)

Those that have never brained or smoked a hide and can comment on it's stupidity just don't have a clue.

It is very different than tans used for taxidermy. But it most definitely is a real tan..which can be used for both "hair off" and "hair on" hides. It is a hell of a lot of work (hope I didn't offend anyone) and turns out fantastic leathers.

And...it doesn't have to have a smokey smell, just toss it in the washer a couple of times and it will go away.