1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mountain Goat

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Keith, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Any tips about getting Mountain Goats underfur detangled?

These are commercial tanned skins, and I have tried washing with hair conditioner, but it doesn't seem to help.

2. Lone Wolf AK

Lone Wolf AK Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry

I haven't found a way to get it ALL detangled, but through trial and error, this works best for me:

Prior to mounting, I bleach, neutralize, shampoo, then condition. I rinse very thoroughly and drain. Then I spin to get the majority of water out (hoping my wife doesn't catch me using her washer :D).

I mount and use a small vacuum exhaust to fluff out the hair periodically over a few days.

When DRY, I then go through the entire mount and gently "tease" up the undercoat. This takes a LOT of patience. If my wife's not too mad at me for using her washer, I enlist her help. Don't try to do this before the mount is dry, as you'll only pull out a bunch of hair and lift the skin away from the form -- I know :(.

A final fluff up with the vacuum exhaust is all that's needed.

I'm sure there are better combs out there than the one I use (maybe a pet groomer could suggest some better ones), but attached is a pix of the one I use.

Just my way...

Attached Files:

3. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Thanks, that is pretty much the way I am currently doing them.