1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Animal Shelters and put downs

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Gunnin4ursoul, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Gunnin4ursoul

Gunnin4ursoul Member

Just wanted to ask(before I look stupid and like a fruitcake) if its legal to obtain an animal from a shelter for skeletons and or skulls this way?

2. BWebbs31

BWebbs31 Classic Skull Mounts, LLC

I would tend to think that that would be the institutions own discretion? I'm not entirely sure on what type of place you have mind. Depending on what has caused an animal in their care to expire, may determine on how it's disposed of though. I have discovered, however, that some the people that work for them are total die hards about animals, yet think that what we do may be "cruel" and will wrinkle up a nose and say no when you tell them your plans with it. So, if you do go ask, just be respectful and MAYBE offer to donate a skeletal articulation or a cleaned skull to them, as an olive branch of sorts. All you can do is ask...

3. bone-o

bone-o New Member

If the animal was put down using lethal injection, I think it's illegal for them to not destroy the carcass completely (if true, this might only apply to some jurisdictions).

4. Depends on the place. The university vet school told me I could have skulls, but I never heard a peep back from any local practices or animal shelters.

5. Silverose01

Silverose01 Proud member of LTBBOI

I haven't tried but I have worked with an animal that was euthanized through injection. Awful smelling stuff and you don't want it getting on you at all.
    I'd say to ask them about the rules they have about it and tell them it is for educational purposes.
    And the worst thing they can do is say no so no harm in trying right?

6. Gunnin4ursoul

Gunnin4ursoul Member

Thanks guys and or gals. I was wondering because I'm close to atleast 6 vets and pounds lol living on three county lines is great for that.

7. thenekonomicon

thenekonomicon New Member

NYC
    I live in Brooklyn and reached out to several nearby shelters, I either got some disgusted responses, or none at all. One shelter did reach out to me, but it was a private one run by two people. Anyone I know who happens to get their hands on animals that passed away like that are normally on really good terms with a shelter or vet (as in they're friendly and the shelter/vet is well aware of their taxidermy).

Kind of sucks, because I'd love more dog skulls in my collection, I only have a pitbull one right now.

8. Wouter

Wouter Member

I sometimes ask animal ambulance services (yes we do have those in Holland) for dead cats, when I want to do a course on cat anatomy. No problem because it's for education. I may need to call them because my highschool wants to do a CSI project, and I'll act as a coroner and need 4 animals which have died in different and identifiable ways. Did it last year with a group of 3rd graders (14-year olds), and I used a shot goose, a run-over jack rabbit, a starved heron and a ocelot which was killed by his cage mate. They loved it!

Wouter