1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by jibbyducks, Dec 4, 2013.

1. jibbyducks

jibbyducks New Member

I just casted a coyote jawset for a special customer piece I'm working on and got air bubbles in the tips of most of the teeth. This has also happened when I've tried to cast bear claws.

I made my mold from Mold Max 30. Sprayed lightly with Syn Lube 531 release agent and casted with Smooth-Cast 320. I did not vacuum nor vibrated the cast while it set as it only takes a few minutes to kick.

I have limited casting experience - only done deer and antelope jawsets, tree bark and antlers in the past and have stuck mostly with the above mentioned products with good results.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. thank you

2. DT10Sam

DT10Sam No flow no go!

I use a pressure chamber with 50lbs of air, place my mold with the cast in the chambr and get all the air bubbles out.

3. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Try doing it on a bed of kapusta,lol. Call me James

4. Bryan Russell

Bryan Russell Active Member

If you don't have a pressure pot, skip the release on a silicone mold and sprinkle baby powder into the mold (a little bit), blow it in with high pressure over 60 lbs. It will go down to the tips. It breaks the surface tension and allows casting material to get to tips. You can also cut off the tip of a q-tip and using the paper stem ,stick it to the tip and jiggle to dislodge the air trapped.

5. dartondude

dartondude New Member

use a plastic curved tip syringe and fill the teeth up from the bottom

6. jibbyducks

jibbyducks New Member

Thank you all for the tips. I don't have a pressure pot or vac chamber but I did cast without release agent and syringed-in the teeth first then sort of poked around with a hollow q-tip and a needle and that got rid of 90% of the bubbles. Still there has to be a better way. I may be using wrong materials or incorrect technique.

Pescado's kapusta trick worked well too but now my casts smell like sauer kraut. Polish engineering at its finest!!

7. Steve Rotramel

Steve Rotramel We got some radical rebels in this county!

Two part mold?

Mix your material. Paint a quick coat on each half with a chip brush, clamp the set together and fill the mold SLOWLY. Pour a little, tap the mold hard on a table several times, pour some more, tap again etc.

If you are getting 90% without a chamber you are already doing pretty good.

8. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

I have had the same problem casting bird feet. Seems like I would never get those toe nails filled up. I solved this in part by using a air hole created at the problem spots . Just plug it when the casting material comes through. Get away from the fast set materials .

PS ....I got a pressure pot this week at Harbor Freight . $99 and hope it solves it all.